Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I locate my stolen IPad based on the Serial Number?

I think this should be a feature of Find my IPhone application, but it is not. I have 3G on it as well through Verizon, yet I can't locate it. There has to be a way. I've been trying to track this IPad down for 2-3 years now after having it stolen from my rental vehicle in Honolulu, HI. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Mar 11, 2014 8:51 AM

7 replies

Mar 11, 2014 10:44 AM in response to duanefromflorida

There is no way to track it except via your iCloud account and the associated find my iphone feature of that account. After 3 years, your phone has certianly been restored, wiping out your icloud account and thus rendering the phone completely untrackable by any remote means. It may already be on another continent for all you know (and for stolen phones, thats a very likely event).

There is no remote tracking by hardware ID, not for individual private citizens acting on their own at least. Find my iPhone doesn't use hardware ID for tracking either - it tracks simply based on a secure, authenticated internet data connection between Apple's servers and your device via your iCloud login credentials.

Aug 30, 2014 4:33 PM in response to Michael Black

Why doesn't Apple track units by Serial Number???? If someone steals an iPhone the first thing they are going to do is power it off and try to use it with a different SIM (i.e. Phone Number) ? This would be extremely easy to do and would deter thefts of phones.

Also since I have Location Services turned on why not offer to store this on Apple's servers as a user option and specify how often this show be updated???

Thank you.....

Aug 30, 2014 4:40 PM in response to 12voltmanXX

12voltmanXX wrote:

Why doesn't Apple track units by Serial Number???? If someone steals an iPhone the first thing they are going to do is power it off and try to use it with a different SIM (i.e. Phone Number) ? This would be extremely easy to do and would deter thefts of phones.

Also since I have Location Services turned on why not offer to store this on Apple's servers as a user option and specify how often this show be updated???

Asked and answered hundreds of times in these forums.....

Apple provides you with a means for tracking phones and iPads. It's not possible to track any device if it's turned off. If you have Find My iPhone enabled, no one else can activate the device with a new SIM.

Aug 30, 2014 4:59 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Meg,

Thank you for the reply and I didn't mean to be repetitive - my search landed me on this tread.

Just a couple of points in case anyone from Apple reads these conversations:

• In Location Servers please add a feature to store my location at user specified intervals for the last 48 hours.
  • Consider adding a power off PIN coded that a user could turn on.
  • In iCloud Find my iPhone add a feature to lock the phone if it has already been turned off the next time the phone (based on serial number) powers on, connects to the internet and connects with an Apple server.
  • Add an automatic Selfie Picture when in Lost Mode sent to the owner as well....

Merely my thoughts....

How do I locate my stolen IPad based on the Serial Number?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.