Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remote app just will not work (when all else does)

I have exactly the same problem as several other people, and I've gone through all of the suggested "fixes". No firewall, on the same (open) network, newest version of Remote app (4.2), with the latest versions of ios (7.2), and all the latest version of Apple TV and iTunes. Home Sharing is on (and my iMac and my MBPro both can control the Apple TV. The Remote app, however, STILL gives me the "can't connect" to the library "check your network settings" message, or "can't find the library, turn home sharing on" message. Airplay works, and the Apple Tv and the two computer libraries show up on my iPhone in the Remote App, but it just won't work.

I'm running a 2008-model iMac, a 2009 Macbook Pro, with a 3rd Generation Apple Tv with an iPhone 5s. My wifi router is a Time Capsule model wire-connected to a Time Warner Cable internet modem (I reset both).

I de/re-installed Remote.

Anyone have any suggestions on what to do next?

iMac (20-inch Early 2008), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Mar 11, 2014 11:12 AM

7 replies

Mar 12, 2014 6:00 PM in response to diesel vdub

Okay, so I tried hardwiring the ATV but no change. BUT, what I did do was tried using my wife's iPhone 5s, and it worked just fine. It still does NOT work on my phone though. The only difference between the two phones was it was iOS 7 with the Remote App version 4.0. Is it possible to downgrade to an earlier version of Remote App?

Mar 12, 2014 7:49 PM in response to diesel vdub

Well, thanks again, but it didn't work. I now have the older 4.0 version of Remote app on my iphone, but it's still not working. Now, as far as I can tell, the only difference is that I upgraded to the latest iOS while my wife's phone is on the 7.0 version.

I also still cannot figure out why ATV and my library show up as devices on my phone, but when I click on them they don't connect.

Here's a theory: If I turn Home Sharing off on my phone, and then back on, and then reconnect to my ATV, I then see two ATVs and the icons are just slightly different. I had an old 1st generation ATV that died a few months ago. Is it possible my phone still "remembers" that ATV and there's some sort of conflict? If so, how do I remove the old ATV from my phone?

Mar 12, 2014 8:28 PM in response to ovenden

Okay, now it's just getting plain weird. For some reason, after I performed a reset on my phone, Remote App worked for about 15-20 seconds.

Because I have two icons for the ATV in the Remote app, I changed the name of my ATV. Both icons labels immediately changed to match the new name.

I also changed the name of my library, and that changed on my iPhone immediately, so obviously the phone and the AppleTv are aware of each other.

I just don't get what's going on.

Remote app just will not work (when all else does)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.