Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

uninstall nvidia drivers

Recently, every time I start my iMac I get a prompt that nVidia Cuda driver needs to be update. I have an AMD card so I never did the update and I was not sure why it was prompting me. Then I updated to the newest version of After Effects. When I started After Effects in now made reference that until nVidia was updated it would use CPU instead of GPU. I used After Effects for a few days and all was well. Then I made the mistake of thinking maybe there was something that need to be updated. I updated the Cuda driver. Now After Effects crashes on start up. From web searches it looks like the problem is After Effects now trying to recognize nVidia card. But I do not have an nVidia card, I have AMD. I would like to remove the nVidia Cuda driver and anything related to it so After Effects can go back to recognizing the ADM card.

Can anyone tell me how to remove the nVidia stuff or has someone run into this same problem and is there another solution.

Thank you for your help and input.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 11, 2014 2:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 11, 2014 2:35 PM

It means you have installed the Nvidia CUDA driver for a machine without an Nvidia GPU. You need to completely remove the CUDA software which is not something Nvidia makes simple. I suggest you download EasyFind 4.9.2 and search the drive for all occurrences of "cuda" then remove those files. Importantly, remove the preference pane, CUDA Preferences, and restart the computer. This will at least stop the recurring prompt to update CUDA.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 11, 2014 2:35 PM in response to dogwood74

It means you have installed the Nvidia CUDA driver for a machine without an Nvidia GPU. You need to completely remove the CUDA software which is not something Nvidia makes simple. I suggest you download EasyFind 4.9.2 and search the drive for all occurrences of "cuda" then remove those files. Importantly, remove the preference pane, CUDA Preferences, and restart the computer. This will at least stop the recurring prompt to update CUDA.

Mar 11, 2014 2:58 PM in response to Kappy

Thank you Kappy for the quick reply.

I downloaded EasyFind and deleted any occurance of cuda. I also removed the CUDA preference. Unfortunately that did not correct the issue. I also tried to launch Premiere on restart and it won't even try to launch while After Effects continues to crash with error message:

Last log message was: <140735287841552> <GPUManager> <2> Sniffer Result Code: 3

Thank you for your help. I will continue to see what I can figure out.

Mar 11, 2014 3:09 PM in response to dogwood74

Then there is still some remnant somewhere. Look in your User&Groups preferences for a Login Item. Try searching for "nvidia" too. The installation puts a launch agent in the /Library/Launch Agents/ folder. Be sure to get rid of that. There is an NVIDIA folder in the /Library/Application Support/ folder and another in the /Home/Library/Application Support/ folder.

Sorry, but I can't help with the Adobe applications. Not sure, however, why uninstalling CUDA should make any difference.

Mar 11, 2014 4:58 PM in response to dogwood74

I don't know whether this will solve your problem with AfterEffects, but to remove CUDA, move each of the following items to the Trash, then reboot:

/Library/Frameworks/CUDA.framework

/Library/LaunchAgents/com.nvidia.CUDASoftwareUpdate.plist

/Library/PreferencePanes/CUDA Preferences.prefPane

/System/Library/Extensions/CUDA

/System/Library/StartupItems/CUDA

/usr/local/cuda/lib/libcuda.dylib

Mar 11, 2014 6:09 PM in response to dogwood74

Hello All,

Thank you very much for your input. The issue is resolved.

I searched the system for files with the name CUDA and nVidia. Each time I found some. Through them away, restarted and and tested. It took multiple times of doing this. For some reason my search did not find the CUDA in the Framework folder. I specifically went to that folder and found the file. I guess that was the last file because after throwing it away After Effects was back up.

I really appreciate every one taking time to help.

Thank you.

Aug 27, 2015 9:21 PM in response to oxymoricon

I actually had numerous updates for CUDA in my preference pane - after I downloaded them I noticed that the playback of numerous media players had altered.

color red in vimeo was crushing really badly - yet the skin tones had improved.

skin tones slightly improved in VLC

grain and sharpness reduced in QT7 from artificial smoothing

no change in QTX

Overall though a pretty bad result from CUDA. I also have amd and a late 2011 not gloss anti glare macbook pro

I am going to delete asap since this will really mess up what you "think" you are getting as a result of your exports when color correcting and changing color spaces with media files. The files could be spot on and perfect but the playback is screwed up as a result from CUDA

Did anyone else receive similar experiences when playing back media? running 7.0.64

uninstall nvidia drivers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.