Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes.itl

Had to uninstall and reinstall iTunes because I had accidentally removed "Bonjour" from my programs. When I reinstalled it on my computer (Windows XP OS), I get this message:

--the file "itunes library.itl" cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of itunes

It won't even open iTunes for me. Apparently reinstalling the new iTunes ruined by old iTunes library since my old iTunes wasn't up to date...? Can someone help me?

Thanks,

April

Windows XP

Posted on Mar 11, 2014 4:14 PM

1 reply

Mar 11, 2014 5:56 PM in response to april345

By way of experiment, let's first try specifically choosing a library for iTunes to open.

Quit iTunes if that error message is showing. Now hold down your Shift key, and then open iTunes. (Keep holding down the shift key while iTunes is opening.)

You should see a dialog asking you if you want to choose or create a library, as per the following screenshot:

User uploaded file

Click "Choose Library ..."

You should now see a screen like the following screenshot:

User uploaded file

Select the "iTunes Library.itl" file (shown circled in the screenshot) and click "Open".

Does your iTunes library open without the error?

iTunes.itl

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.