Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

disk error, Macbook Pro wont start up...

Hey everyone,

So unfortunately today I joined the victims of this I/O error which all started when I attempted to select a wireless access point then the beach ball came up, next thing I knew the computer was frozen, then the mouse.....then off it went and it has yet to come back.

I've tried to research for the past 3 hours and I've come to these points:

So upon safe start the computer shuts down as soon as the message on the bottom picture shows up...I don't know if that means anything but I think it relates to the air port...

Next, I went in to terminal which is the first picture and kept receiving this disk0s2: I/O error. **The volume Macintosh HD could not be verified completely. And it was everytime after the **Checking catalog file.

Upon doing some reading I seem to get the vibe that its a hardware malfunction more than anything, NO I did not have my stuff backed up, so does this mean I'm SOL if I don't want to pay out the *** for someone else to fix my problem or backup my data.

Please let me know anything you can to help me out I would greatly appreciate it!

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

MacBook Pro

Posted on Mar 11, 2014 9:42 PM

1 reply

Mar 11, 2014 11:23 PM in response to MyKnee

MyKnee,

if you have access to a FireWire 800 cable and a second Mac with a FireWire 800 port, you can try booting your Mac into Target Disk mode to see if it can be treated as an external hard drive from the second Mac. If so, you can try copying your personal files to the second Mac.

Alternatively, if you have an external disk enclosure or a SATA-to-USB or SATA-to-FireWire adapter, you can try removing your internal disk to see if you can boot from it externally. If it’s repairable through Disk Utility externally but non-repairable internally, then that might point to your internal SATA cable as being faulty.

If you’re unwilling or unable to either fix your problem yourself, back up your own files, or have someone else do so for you, then yes, you’d be SOL. This is where the value is found in making backups — to avoid SOL scenarios like this.

disk error, Macbook Pro wont start up...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.