Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS7 Dictionary Trouble (stuck in mid-download?)

I've noticed a few topics that sound similar to mine on the surface, but I seem to have an added layer of trouble going.

I attempted to use the dictionary the other day while using Safari (highlight a word, select "define") and I got the "no definition found" screen. I realized that my dictionary(s) must be missing and I went to the "manage" screen to try to download them. Here's where things get weird:

1) The Apple dictionary and New Oxford appear to be stuck in mid-download, showing an empty progress circle. (See image)

2) I was able to download the Oxford British English dicitonary and I've been using that instead. It stays in my list consistently.

3) I attempted to download the Japanese and Japanese/English dictionaries and they tend to work for a little while, then vanish, requiring me to redownload them.

I'm kind of assuming the issue is at least partially caused by the two dictionaries at the top that appear to be caught in mid-download. Is there any way to reset those downloads/clear the cache? I've tried rebooting, turning airplane mode on/off, closing down apps that use the dictionary and rebooting again, etc. but nothing seems to change this.

Would reseting network settings and restoring from backup do anything? Any other ideas?

User uploaded file

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.1

Posted on Mar 11, 2014 10:46 PM

2 replies

iOS7 Dictionary Trouble (stuck in mid-download?)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.