Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Most of my Quicktime movies not supported

I got a new Mac Pro to edit time lapse, but FCP will not reconize and most of my .mov files. I can't even open them. A handfull witll ask to convert, but the rest won't. I have about three years of work, about 30TB of raw files, the idea of reprocessing all of them is overwhelming. It worked on my Retina, but the MacPro only has blank for most of my footage. Can I run Lion on a new macPro? Is the any chance of saving obsolete lion and mtn. lion era quicktime files?

thanks

Ron

Posted on Mar 12, 2014 12:20 AM

8 replies

Mar 12, 2014 12:40 AM in response to tikiRon

No wait. Don't jump to conclusions - do not try to de-evolve to Lion assuming that that will fix your issues.

If you are working in timelapse, may I assume that you have individual photo frames that you want to create an image sequence with? --- To play back as timelapse?

Open one of your "native" Movies or photos in Quictime Player, open the Inspector window and create a screen shot. If it will not open in QT, install VLC Media Player, open in it, find the window that shows its properties and post a screen shot.

Let's see the format, codec, fps etc of your native >mov and/or photo(s).

If you acquired this Mac Pro recently and this is a newly loaded version of FCP X - then you may need to install the Pro-Codecs package. Final Cut Pro Menu>Install Additional Content.

I assure you that this is not a Maverick's issue.

Post back with some screen shots and a clear thourough description of your >mov files.

Good Luck

Mar 12, 2014 1:30 AM in response to tikiRon

you probably just need to upload the Pro Apps Codecs - and what I did was to do that and I copied the components manually from my old computer that are now "obsolete" from:

(1) Mac HD/Library/Quicktime/components

(2) Mac hd/Library.Application Support/Pro Media Components

And Lastly:

Mac HD/System/Library/Quicktime.

From those three locations I have every modern and legacy component & codec that there is for any video to be opened in QuickTime Pro 7 -- which I highly recommend getting for $30.

Post back what/how you've done... Again - Lion has no inate video codecs that Mavericks & final cut Pro 10.1 do not have.

Please stick with this an post back with those file types, your os version, FCP X version and screenshots.

We will get you sorted out. I promise.

Mar 13, 2014 12:10 AM in response to tikiRon

(1) if you could post screen shots of your videos in a player that has an inspector window (even if on your old machine) so we can get to the bottom of what the files are would help us help you.

(2) Lion (itself) has no codecs that Mavericks does not have - unless you installed Perian, FFMpegX, or a camera maker's codec like Canon or Sony etc.

In my last post I put the paths to where all the codecs that are installed on my machine - those I have been using with all the previous versions of FCP 4,5,6,7 on my old Macbook Pro that I moved to my new machine & the lastest Pro Apps codecs from 2002-to present some of which were installed when I upgraded to Final Cut Pro 10.1.

Here are some screen captures of my codecs in QT. The thing is FCP X - uses core video I think NOT QT Codecs. Compressor, however, uses both. If you want to batch convert your files, try either "free" Mpeg Streamclip or buy Compressor. Compressor does batches.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

I also have Perian - which I disable when working in FCP X.

Point is few came with any OS. I got some from downloading Apple Pro Apps Codecs and some from other places. I know what each does & where in the Finder each belongs.

Did you go to the Final Cut Pro menu>download additional content? Run software update?

Post some info if you would like help. I am unfamiliar with your file type. What camera is it from?

Good Luck

Mar 13, 2014 1:04 AM in response to tikiRon

"I get an error that it does not support "CFHD".

Why didn't you say that these are from a GoPro? That makes this very easy.

1) download GoPro Studio (Cineform) it is free. You can convert your files in mass there for use in FCP X.

2. I have the GoPro Cineform codex as an import/export option in Compressor & QT Pro (see above). Which means that both Quicktime & Final Cut Pro X "sees" my h.264 GoPro movies. Don't recall how I got that GoPro codec - maybe acquiring it is an option when installing GoPro Studio? I never encountered the wrning about the

"CFHD" files. (Cineform HD).

Perhaps repost a new Thread "I am having trouble getting my NEW Mac Pro to import my GO PRO video files" -- probably get alot more help than I am able to offer. I've pretty much written all I can about this.

Read This link:

http://www.fcp.co/hardware-and-software/pro/1229-got-a-gopro-gopro-studio-2-0-mi ght-be-the-best-way-to-get-your-footage-into-fcpx

Mar 13, 2014 6:09 PM in response to babylonslim

Thanks for you help. My internet is been down so much I could not read your response until now. Sorry I did not mention that they were processed in GoPro software. Some are GoPro others, just processed through Cineform. I'll take a for the GoPro codec.

Thanks for your help, got most of what I needed converted through my laptop.

Ron

Most of my Quicktime movies not supported

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.