Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My cd/dvd drive does not accept any cds/dvds

I know this has been posted before, but I have tried many methods posted on this site and others, and either I have done them wrong or they haven't worked.

I have a three year old macbook pro running 10.6.8. I also have Windows 7 Ultimate running on Bootcamp, and my disc drive does not work on that OS either.

The weird thing is that two weeks ago, I installed a videogame using a DVD-R and it was working perfectly. I ejected it when I was done. I am 100% certain there is no disc stuck in the drive, and I have looked in Disc Utility to be sure of that.

I tried resetting the SMC by restarting the computer holding down SHIFT+CONTROL+OPTION and the startup button, and that didn't work. I tried restarting holding down the trackpad button, which would eject any stuck disc, among some other methods.

Maybe someone can point me in the direction of re-installing drivers for the disc drive or something? I really hope this is a software issue because I am in another country for the next year and going to an apple store would be out of my budget and very difficult. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

My last resort (I would rather get my computer fixed) is using a Macbook Air superdrive, however it is incompatible with my macbook pro (for some reason they only made it compatible with the Air, which I don't have). I heard there is a risky way of editing some "code" to get it to run with a macbook. But I must stress again, I would much rather fix the problem at hand than jerry-rig an external drive as a solution.

Thanks so much for your help.

-David

edit: as was mentioned in other posts, when I put a disc in the drive, it feels like something in the upper right hand corner is blocking the entry. The computer is completely unresponsive to the disc. Thanks for reading!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 12, 2014 3:30 AM

2 replies

Mar 12, 2014 4:04 AM in response to Brodaki

it feels like something in the upper right hand corner is blocking the entry.

Appears your optical drive is "broke" = hardware issue.

For DIY instructions check out the following:

iFixit

YouTube’s “How To” tutorials.

AS are not the only places that fixes Macs.

International AASP’s & Other Services

AASP's Outside of the USA

How to find your nearest Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP)

User uploaded file

Mar 12, 2014 4:06 AM in response to Brodaki

Often a lens cleaning is required to get a DVD drive to start working again. Since you indicate that there is "something in the upper right hand corner is blocking the entry", I would suggest that you open the MBP and the drive and inspect the interior. It is not that difficult.

If you would rather not do that, the Apple Superdrive can be modified to work on your MBP. Here are the instructions:

http://www.tuaw.com/2012/04/02/use-the-macbook-air-superdrive-with-any-almost-ma c/

Note that other DVD drives will also work with your MBP.

Ciao.

My cd/dvd drive does not accept any cds/dvds

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.