Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5S iOS 7.1 SMS not working if iMessage is on

My roommate's iPhone 5S on Sprint. When iMessage is turned on, he can't send or receive messages to non-iPhones since the iOS 7.1 update.

He tried rebooting and resetting network settings... neither did the trick. If iMessage is turned off, SMS/MMS works fine.

I also have a 5S on Sprint, and I don't have this issue after updating.

Posted on Mar 12, 2014 6:39 AM

6 replies

Mar 12, 2014 10:34 AM in response to RedGeminiPA

I noticed that too after I updated my iphone 4 and iphone 4s to iOS 7.1 on March 10th. I cannot send any mms pictures to other kinds of phone like android. Iphone to iphone mms picture works fine. Regular text works fine to all except for picture messages to android phones. I called up my carrier and was told to contact Apple directly because of the iOS update. You're not alone.

Mar 14, 2014 8:05 AM in response to RedGeminiPA

I have the same problem ... I am on an MVNO of AT&T (H2O Mobile), and because of that my iPhone imediatly configures the network to run off of AT&T's settings. Whew you use the SIM Swapping trick to make changes to the MMS config Apple's software overrides the settings back to those defined by the built in carrier profile. In my case I am using a factory unlocked iPhone 5C, and I cannot make the changes needed to make the phone work properly with the carrier's MMS system. Apparently Apple's idea of unlocked means slightly less unlocked from the carrier locked version, but still locked up tight.

iPhone 5S iOS 7.1 SMS not working if iMessage is on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.