Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Found locked iPad

Here's a scenario that happened lately.

What if I found an iPad, passcode locked on the street. It is running 7.0.x version. As a good guy, I want to return it to the owner but there's no way to find the person that it belongs to becasue I can't get past the lockscreen. Also, keep in mind that the iPad wasn't found in the school, or public space where I could return it to lost & found. It was lost on the street. What is there to do? Can I return it to Apple and they will return it to the actual belonger of the iTunes account (because of the activation lock)? Since the model of the iPad is WiFi only, I can't get it to connect to a network so find my iPaf pops in.

It is an iPad 2

Posted on Mar 12, 2014 6:28 AM

26 replies

Mar 12, 2014 6:51 AM in response to gr4v1ty

If you are trying to activate an iPad or iPhone and it is asking for a previous owners Apple ID and password, you have encountered the Activation Lock. This is a security feature that prevents thieves from setting up and using a stolen or lost iPad or iPhone. You have no alternative. No must contact the previous owner to get permission to use the device. If you cannot contact the previous owner return the device to where you bought it and get a refund. You will never be able to activate the device and no one can help you do it.

May 26, 2014 1:54 PM in response to gr4v1ty

If u really wants to restore to the owner, u have a chance, buy Apple 30-pin Ethernet to connect iPad to the internet and of course the owner can c it or control it from icloud.com/find

I think there is no solution again to do ;|

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-SQc7fjZAx0Q/TZCLzWg02DI/AAAAAAAAEqk/oxaNkHRZsE4/s200/r edpark_iphone_serial_cable_db9_rj11.jpg

Jun 6, 2014 6:22 PM in response to gr4v1ty

Having worked in Law Enforcement, I would definitely advise NOT to give to local police. The reality is we will do nothing to track down the owner of an Ipad and rarely does anyone call looking for a lost item. We just have too many other law enforcement activity to focus on, not a lost and found. I have personally met many honest (and many dishonest) folks in my line of work, and think if gr4v1ty had stolen it he wouldn't have posted on public forum. You might want to try to be helpful in him locating the owner and not advise on what you don't know.

Jun 6, 2014 7:07 PM in response to Breckbordr

Breckbordr wrote:

Having worked in Law Enforcement, I would definitely advise NOT to give to local police. The reality is we will do nothing to track down the owner of an Ipad and rarely does anyone call looking for a lost item. We just have too many other law enforcement activity to focus on, not a lost and found. I have personally met many honest (and many dishonest) folks in my line of work, and think if gr4v1ty had stolen it he wouldn't have posted on public forum. You might want to try to be helpful in him locating the owner and not advise on what you don't know.

You make a good point about the cops having more pressing issues. However, since the introduction of IOS-7 and its enhanced security, there have been a significant number of good samaritans (like this OP) that have found iPads "just laying in the street." They post here to learn how to break the security so that they may contact the rightful owner. Put your LE hat back on and mull that over.

Dec 31, 2014 9:17 AM in response to gr4v1ty

I just finished chatting with apple support coz I found an ipad too and can't see the full email on the lock screen. They said they're not going to be involved and that I should contact local law enforcement. I went to the station coz it's near my house, they told me to keep it. So I'll use it as a Frisbee or bite toy for my dog..i feel sorry for the owner and all other less informed apple owners like me..coz if we loose it and even if the person that found it contacts apple they can't inform us due to privacy protection. Tip: Don't loose your ipad! !!

Dec 31, 2014 9:23 AM in response to iPhadd

iPhadd wrote:

I just finished chatting with apple support coz I found an ipad too and can't see the full email on the lock screen. They said they're not going to be involved and that I should contact local law enforcement. I went to the station coz it's near my house, they told me to keep it. So I'll use it as a Frisbee or bite toy for my dog..i feel sorry for the owner and all other less informed apple owners like me..coz if we loose it and even if the person that found it contacts apple they can't inform us due to privacy protection. Tip: Don't loose your ipad! !!

You found it just laying in the street, eh?

Found locked iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.