Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Leave color like in AE?

Hello!

I make short films as a hobby with my friends, and there are a few YouTube channels that I make sure to stay up on because they're typically loaded with helpful tips.

I just got done watching one that involved him making his green shirt be the only object with color via using a filter in AE known as "leave color" (The only green in the entire shot was the shirt). He then did the opposite and made his shirt the only B&W object, I forget what the name of the filter he used for that one was.

Thing is...I don't have AE but I do have Motion 5, and I don't recall seeing that filter or anything else in the library. However, I'm by no means an expert. I'd probably give myself like a 4 out of 10 in reference to proficency, ability, and knowledge with it; I'm much more fluid and capable in FCPX and don't use graphic effects too often. This effect, however, is one that I would love to be able to use.

Does anyone know of a similar Motion 5 ability or work around?

Thanks in advance.

Motion 5, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Mar 12, 2014 6:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2014 2:32 PM

I don't know of a plugin or filter for FCP or Motion that will do this effect, however it is easily done in either application. In Motion duplicate your clip. Add a color filter to the background/original layer to make it black and white. On the duplicate layer add a mask to the object you want to retain its color. Use a tracking behavior on the mask to follow any motion in the clip and your done. If you want the opposite effect ie a B&W object just invert the mask and move the filter to the duplicate layer. If you have a tracking mask such as Slice X for FCP you can easily do the same effect in FCP adding a copy of your clip as an attached clip to the original and applying a tracking mask to it. FCP has a B&W effect you can use.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 12, 2014 2:32 PM in response to Singu1@rity

I don't know of a plugin or filter for FCP or Motion that will do this effect, however it is easily done in either application. In Motion duplicate your clip. Add a color filter to the background/original layer to make it black and white. On the duplicate layer add a mask to the object you want to retain its color. Use a tracking behavior on the mask to follow any motion in the clip and your done. If you want the opposite effect ie a B&W object just invert the mask and move the filter to the duplicate layer. If you have a tracking mask such as Slice X for FCP you can easily do the same effect in FCP adding a copy of your clip as an attached clip to the original and applying a tracking mask to it. FCP has a B&W effect you can use.

Mar 12, 2014 11:04 PM in response to Singu1@rity

How good are you at chroma keying? I think this is also known as "The Pleasantville Effect".

Duplicate your clip. Add (1st) the Filters > Keying > Keyer.

If you're keying green - this is all automatic - skip the next section.

if you're NOT keying green:

{

Turn the strength down to 0%

Click the Sample Color button and click and drag out a rectangle on the color you want to preserve.

(You can add multiple Sample Color rectangles if you have trouble including enough color "source" for the sampler.

}

Afterwards: add a Hue Saturation filter to the same clip and dial the saturation down to 0%.

Use a garbage matte to get rid of any extraneous other items that might happen to be green if you don't want them included.

Tweak the keyer, if needed, by 1st: adjusting the Matte Tools levels and 2nd: adjusting the Spill Suppression Contrast (I find this combination the easiest to use and least likely to screw up the key). (You can get relatively extreme with the Matte Tools levels control - push the Gamma/midtones all the way if necessary - but remember to work in combo with the spill contrast.)

I chroma keyed just the yellows in this example:

User uploaded file

Leave color like in AE?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.