Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SXSW app on AppleTV had no audio on March 11?

I attempted to watch Imagine Dragons on the SXSW app from my AppleTV but had no audio. Video feed was fine and all other apps (netflix, Smithsonian etc...) had both video and audio. Did anyone else experience issues with the SXSW app on AppleTV?

Apple TV (3rd generation), iOS 7.1

Posted on Mar 12, 2014 9:29 AM

4 replies

Mar 12, 2014 9:49 AM in response to Hobodebobo

Hello, I had a slightly different problem. My Apple TV is connected via HDMI to a Pioneer Elite receiver in my home theater. I have speakers configured in a 5.1 setup. When I tried to watch Coldplay last night. I got video, but the audio was horrible. Very distorted and rough.

I noticed that the receiver tells me it is getting 5.1 Dolby Digital audio stream. The audio and video sounded fine on the iPad, but not through Apple TV. It is running the latest software 6.1 (OS Build 7.1).

When I play audio from the iTunes Radio - Festival channel, it was fine. However, iTunes Festival SXSW app would not play audio properly. After checking settings on AppleTV, I went to Audio and Video Playback and to Dolby Digital setting. I changed Dolby Digital from AUTO to OFF. That cleared up my audio and it sounded great.

I recommend checking your Audio setting on AppleTV. Try turning of Dolby Digital to see if that will help your situation. You should be able to reproduce the issue from the concert playback feature.

The real problem seems to be in the iTunes Festival SXSW app on AppleTV. It acts like a software flag is set On in the bitstream and is telling the receiver to do DD 5.1, but it is only 2 channel.

Check your receiver or TV settings as well. You may have not got any audio if it was not able to handle 5.1.

I did open a case with Apple this morning, so let us know if this works.

Mar 12, 2014 11:17 AM in response to Hobodebobo

What's really strange is that the "clips" of the full show sound fine! Try the clip of Radioactive under Imagine Dragons. If I try to watch the full show there's no audio unless I turn off Dolby Digital in the Apple TV settings. Then I get good sounding audio but it's not 5.1. I'm surprised I haven't seen more postings about this but maybe most people don't run theirs through a surround receiver. I just read a support article that said doing a full restore of your Apple TV might resolve the issue but that was from last year so not sure if this is related or not. If it works I'll post again.

SXSW app on AppleTV had no audio on March 11?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.