Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Broken pipe in rsync (but only in one direction...)

I've been using rsync to sync my Macbook Air and the iMac in my office.

It has always worked, until a couple of days ago.

Strangely, syncing from the Macbook to the iMac is no longer working.

Here's the error when I run the rsync command on my Macbook:

rsync -avz --update --exclude=.DS_Store --exclude="Microsoft User Data" ~/Documents/ myusername@mymachine.mydomain:Documents/

Password:

building file list ... done

Write failed: Broken pipe

rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (8 bytes received so far) [sender]

rsync error: unexplained error (code 255) at io.c(605) [sender=3.0.9]

In the reverse direction (i.e., exchanging the last two arguments of the above command) everything works flawless (like it always did).

I've tried rebooting both machines, as well as the Airport Time Capsule that connects the iMac to the internet (and eventually the Macbook via wifi, though the problem persists even if I connect the Macbook to any other network).

Any suggestions?

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Mar 12, 2014 10:22 AM

2 replies

Mar 16, 2014 6:46 AM in response to maurofrompe

I am having a similar problem. I had been using Backuplist+ before Mavericks. I finally just set it up on my new Mini and it does not work. I have tried several other rsync GUIs and get the same:

rsync: rsync_xal_set: lsetxattr(""/Volumes/backup/.121837862.s1cm2kwf.proofsqlp_8330_edited-1.jpg.div bav"","com.apple.ResourceFork") failed: Attribute not found (93)

"Pictures" rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (147 bytes received so far) [sender]

"Pictures" rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(605) [sender=3.0.9]

This is connecting to the same NAS as I was using before. I think it is a 10.9.2 problem.

Broken pipe in rsync (but only in one direction...)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.