Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Auto landscape/horizontal video mode

Why does apple allow vertical videos to be take with the iphone? it's so crappy and I know no TV format that it conforms to. the phone should auto shoot in landscape/horizontal mode only. (I know I can buy an app called Horizontal [i heard it's buggy[).

Posted on Mar 12, 2014 11:35 AM

3 replies

Dec 10, 2014 4:11 PM in response to pkendall

I agree. There should be a default setting that records video in landscape mode regardless of how you hold your phone. If you REALLY want to record tall skinny video you can turn it off. But all the people who record vertical videos do it because they don't know or care enough to hold the phone sideways. Making landscape the default on the Iphone will go a long way to eliminating this format abomination.

Jul 31, 2015 8:49 AM in response to pkendall

I also agree. Send feedback at apple.com/feedback. Drill this into Apple.

But there needs to be an override in case the choice is conscious. I'd like to see the single "Video" selection in the Camera app expanded to two separate selections; Landscape Video and Portrait Video. And is should be smart enough to rotate accordingly when the iPhone is rotated.

FWIW, I found an app named Horizon that purports to do this. Disclosure: It's not my app, I didn't buy the app, I don't know the developer, I just got a hit on Google search on "phones that record video in landscape automatically".

<Edited By Host>

Auto landscape/horizontal video mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.