Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Every time I try sync with iTunes on my Mac it gives error -50 cannot be synced in all devices (iPads, iPhones)

Every time I try sync with iTunes on my Mac it gives error -50 cannot be synced in all devices (iPads, iPhones). This has been happening for about a year now probably and it's driving me crazy. I have searched the internet for solutions but non seemed to work. Ejecting and trying different USB cables does not work, restarting iTunes, restarting devices and Macbook, internet connection, etc. Software is up to date on all devices including iTunes.

I don't see much troubleshooting specifically about this -50 error, oddly enough. It's as if is meant to say "an error occurred which we have no idea what it was or why, good luck!". Please help!

MacBook Pro (17-inch Early 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Mar 12, 2014 11:58 AM

3 replies

Mar 12, 2014 2:57 PM in response to AzoreanFox

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It’s unlikely to solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

The purpose of the test is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party software that loads automatically at startup or login, by a peripheral device, by a font conflict, or by corruption of the file system or of certain system caches.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards, if applicable. Start up in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem. You must hold down the shift key twice: once when you boot, and again when you log in.

Note: If FileVault is enabled, or if a firmware password is set, or if the boot volume is a Fusion Drive or a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to boot and run than normal, with limited graphics performance, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain models. The next normal boot may also be somewhat slow.

The login screen appears even if you usually login automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, reboot as usual (not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of the test.

Mar 23, 2014 9:36 PM in response to AzoreanFox

Back up all data. There are several possible causes for this error. Please take each of the following steps that you haven't already tried. Stop when the problem is resolved.

Step 1

Delete the iPod Photo Cache. Quit and relaunch iTunes.

Step 2

Check the names of all albums and slideshows in iPhoto. The names should contain only plain letters and digits, not any punctuation marks or other characters. Rename them if necessary.

Step 3

Remove the soundtrack from any iPhoto slideshows that have one. If sync now works, you may be able to restore the soundtracks.

Every time I try sync with iTunes on my Mac it gives error -50 cannot be synced in all devices (iPads, iPhones)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.