Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MYSTERY OF THE CRAPPY 3RD PARTY HDMI CABLE (Macbook pro keeps freezing).......

I have a MacBook Pro 13-inch, from Mid 2012

Processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory 4GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB

Now running Mavericks 10.9.2

371.27 GB Available disk space (500GB capacity)

So this computer has been running perfectly since I bought it. I hadn't updated to Mavericks as I had had some issues on my iMac, so was waiting till apple got their **** together.

The computer was fine, I was using Skype and other programs as normal. I closed everything down and went to plug in the macbook into our sony bravia tv (to watch a movie) using a 3rd party HDMI cable (from Becken Bower, bought by my flat mate). It connected as I might expect, both screens turned blue, then the macbook pro screen was on the tv. Then it was gone. Wiggled the cable around, and it came back on. Anyways, gave up on the movie as realised we didn't have the sound cable.

Since this happened, the macbook pro continuously freezes. It is fine for periods of a few minutes, and then the spinning beachball happens. I thought the update might do it, so updated to Mavericks, and nothing changed. Checked out the RAM, and although I am experiencing high usage of the kernel_task (currently at 475.6MB), there is 1.35GB spare Memory after using 'Memory Clean' app. Also, the Memory Pressure graph has never been anything else but green, yet the freezing continues to happen. Disk space is large - 371.27GB available. I have ran the disk utility, verified disk and repaired disk, but nothing changes.

I know it sounds weird and doesn't make sense in my logic, but I'm sure that crappy 3rd party HDMI cable did something to my mac!

PLEASE, can anyone give any advice????

THANKS

Matthew

MacBook Pro

Posted on Mar 12, 2014 1:25 PM

4 replies

Mar 13, 2014 2:40 AM in response to mattymooraa

That's always a good worst case way to test and see if it's a software problem. One thing though, when you restore from your backup you may bring the problem back depending on what it is. You might try setting up a new user via Users & Groups in System Preferences. See if you still have problems with that user. If not, it tells you there's an issue with your user account rather than some kind of system corruption.

MYSTERY OF THE CRAPPY 3RD PARTY HDMI CABLE (Macbook pro keeps freezing).......

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.