Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 7.1 Volume Down Button Stopped Functioning

On an iPhone 5, I've upgraded to iOS7.1 and now the Volume Down button has ceased to function. Button does not feel wonky or has the phone beed dropped or abused. The Volume Up button works fine; the Volume Down button worked fine before the upgrade. Anyone else?

Posted on Mar 12, 2014 12:37 PM

21 replies

Mar 12, 2014 2:41 PM in response to brad805

Thank you, Brad. I appreciate your suggestions and respectfully don't think they apply here. I am a developer and feel this is a firmware/software issue brought about with iOS7.1 and I'm curious to see if I'm alone on this. The phone is virgin and the button is not wonky. It worked fine up until the recent upgrade. Does not work after the upgrade. To prove my point, I'm thinking I'll wait for the next iOS release.

Mar 14, 2014 10:59 PM in response to yalK

I am in the exact same boat. Phone is in an Otterbox and has had no events other than the recent upgrade to iOS 7.1. No drops, spills, shocks, etc. I removed it from the case and the top/volume up button is still working and feels EXACTLY the same as the non-working volume down button. Volume can be controlled in Settings>Sounds, but I agree that it suspiciously coincided with the upgrade to 7.1. I hope there is a release soon to fix this bug if that is what it is. Anybody else in this boat?

iPhone 5 volume down button side-key doesn't work broken won't function after upgrade to iOS 7.1

Mar 15, 2014 7:06 AM in response to Javamantis

Now we're getting somewhere. Just "where" I'm not sure. I've talked with tech support on the phone and at the Apple store and their response (the customer is always wrong) was to buy a new iPhone. I've checked my switch electrically and it functions fine. I've sent this issue as a bug report but I'm not sure if anyone empowered reads those. An Otterbox? Serious. I think most people use the buttons only occasionally and more will start to report in.

Mar 15, 2014 8:24 AM in response to yalK

It took me a couple of days because most of the time I have the sound turned off. It was only after my son was playing Slice Fractions and asked me to turn on the sound that I noticed it at all and only then because the app was loud as...well, it was really loud.

On the other end of the service report spectrum, for whatever reason, my gut told me to get Apple Care when I got the phone. May have been the persuasive smile of the salesgirl or just good instincts... Still, they were really professional on my text-chat session. We tried a few of the things that were outlined above and then they just set me up with an appointment at the Genius Bar for Wednesday afternoon. I am told there is a good chance that they will give me a new device if they can't fix it on the spot. Since I will be restoring from a backup, the problem, if it is a glitch, should appear on the new phone as well and then we'll have our answer...

Apple Care vs. Taking Care is like the difference between Good Whiskey vs. Cheap Whiskey:
Pay now or Pay later...

I'll keep you posted...

Mar 19, 2014 4:00 AM in response to yalK

Alright, I visited the Genius Bar today and was very happy with the results. Again, I did buy Apple Care and this happened about ten months after buying the phone. Between the bad button and the figity battery, they just swapped my SIM card into a new iPhone 5 and sent me home to restore from my PC Itunes backup.

After the full restore, the phone is operating quickly, battery seems to have more staying power and the volume down button is working as is everything else. I still think the timing of the volume going out of control immediately after downloading the update seems suspicious. Still, wouldn't the problem persist if it were a true glitch? Hard to tell since I never did a restore from backup before taking it in. Also, could the phone's insistance on upgrading the software before doing the restore? I have no idea. I'm just a novice user with no real knowledge of the internal workings.

Best of luck to everyone else who has had this problem! Let me know if you think I can help.

Cheers!

Mar 31, 2014 6:44 AM in response to yalK

This is interesting: For me, the Volume Down works perfectly fine in most apps (even iTunes!!)--it just doesn't work (at least) for ringer volume and yet it does work (sometimes) for caller volume when the phone is held to the ear. I have a kit to replace the switch but I am now convinced (like most of us) that this IS an Apple update issue and I feel no need to replace the switches. Try Volume Down in different apps--I think your findings will duplicate mine.

Mar 31, 2014 12:13 PM in response to yalK

The volume-down bottom does work in any app. The bottom feels ok --it clics when you push it, as it is supposed to do--. I went to a MacStore and they asked me to backup all the information and come back to leave the device. They are going to have a look on it. They told me that they presume it's a mechanical problem ---nothing to do with the IOS 7.1 update-- and they will replace the phone if needed ---the warrant period is not over yet: 20 days left!

iOS 7.1 Volume Down Button Stopped Functioning

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.