Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My cinema display won't work over a display port booster and extra long cable.

Hi,

I have a Mac Pro (mid 2010) and an Apple Cinema Display 27". I also have two other DVI monitors. Recently I got a few extenders, so that I can have the computer in a different room to the monitors. Everything works perfectly except the Cinema Display. My system recognises that the cinema display is connected (as it shows as a display in preferences), but the screen is black.

The series of connections from computer to screen is: mini display port to display port adaptor, short display port cable, gefen display port booster, extra long display port cable, display port (female to female) coupler, display port to mini display port.

Please let me know if you have any ideas what the problem may be.

Thank you!

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), Mid 2010

Posted on Mar 12, 2014 3:41 PM

4 replies

Mar 19, 2014 3:02 AM in response to turbostar

Per your advice to taking out the longest cable, I ran a couple of tests at different stages of the connection. Over a short conversion to displayport and back to mini display port, the monitor connected no problem. It was only when I introduced the "Display Port Booster" that I lost signal, over the short connection.

I think the unit might be faulty and this is the problem. I sent it back to the company that sold it to me and they're running tests now. Hopefully they will be able to fix it.

My cinema display won't work over a display port booster and extra long cable.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.