4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 13, 2014 8:52 AM by Diavonex
KatherineB0429 Level 1 (0 points)

This iPad had iOS 4.3.3 and I wanted to update it to the most recent software, 7.1.  The first thing I did was I backed it up to my computer so I would be able to restore all of the photos and data after I had updated.  At first, I tryed just clicking Update.  It kept failing with error 9006.  Then, I tryed the Restore and Update.  This timed out even though it seemed to be moving alone just fine.  The last thing I tried was to wipe the iPad and then update it.  This worked.  When it came up on my computer, it asked if I wanted to restore from a backup.  I said yes and selected the backup that I made.  It said Restoring.  Afterwards, it took me through the normal process that you would go through to set up a new iPad.  at the end of the setup, it asked if I would like to set it up as a new iPad, or restore from a backup.  ????????  I tried to restore from backup and it started and endless loop of restoring and setting up, and restoring again.  I eventually selected to set up as a new iPad.  I cannot firgure out how to get the pictures back onto the iPad from the backup if the restore won't work.  I was wondering if it is possible to find the picture files on my computer??? Does anybody have any suggestions or ran into the same problem???

FYI: I was a bit disapointed to learn that the online support chat now costs $20

iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G, iOS 7.1
  • Diavonex Level 9 (66,550 points)

Setup as new first to get out of the loop. You can restore from backup later.

Restore from iTune Backup

1. Settings>General>Reset>Erase all content and settings

2. You will be asked twice if you want to erase iPad

3. Slide to set up

4. Select Language

5. Select Country

6. (a) Use Location Service   (b) Don't use Location Service

7. Choose Wi-Fi Network

8. Enter Wi-Fi password

9. (a) Setup as new (b) Restore from iCloud Backup (c) Restore from iTune Backup

10. Select "Restore from iTune Backup"

11. You will be instructed to connect to iTune (computer)

On computer

12. Two options offered

13. (a) Set up as new iPad (b) Restore from backup (a list of backup will be shown)

14. Select Restore from backup and select the backup

15. Continue

16. Restoring iPad from backup

17. The settings for iPad restored

• KatherineB0429 Level 1 (0 points)

I have tried this.  When I do this and restore after I have set it up, it just takes me back to the initial setup screen and has me go through again and none of the content is there.  Even if I get out of the loop, it takes me back to the loop.

You should verify if you have a backup in iTune (tap to enlarge image)

Edit>Preference>Device>check if there's any backup.

image.jpg