Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Prohibitory Sign at Boot after SSD upgrade... But with a twist?

I currently have a late 2011 MBP (Macbookpro 8,1) , just recently upgraded to a Samsung Evo 250gb SSD with original Toshiba 500GB drive in optibay

Problem is upon boot (1 out of 4 times) shows a "Prohibitory" sign, or the one with a circle with a diagonal line across it.

If I start it up in verbose mode I get an error message

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Most concerning line is:

"Error loading kernel 'mach_kernel' (0x6)"

From my understanding this is called a Kernel Panic? Occasionally I get the regular kernel panic message, the one with bunch of lines with the gray background.

But here is the thing... If I leave it alone it boots up normally. The prohibitory sign goes away and shows the Apple logo then boots normally.

My Macbook operates and performs like a normal computer after that. I have gone through several threads and tried troubleshooting.

Here is what is did:

• Clean install of OSX Mavericks (Properly formatted the SSD)
  • Formatted the HDD
  • Checked EFI and SMC Firmware (Up to date)
  • Checked SSD Firmware from Samsung (Up to date)
  • Resetted PRAM and SMC
  • Removed Second drive from optical bay and replaced with it with factory CD drive
  • Enabled TRIM
  • Swapped with original HDD in main bay (Error doesn't occur)

My assumption leads me to believe that the SSD is faulty but checking from other threads their MBP just simply doesn't start up whilst mine does?

I've also read that replacing SATA cable helps but again my symptoms are a little different as it actually starts up.

If anyone out there with a brilliant mind can help my situation I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm running out of hair to pull from my head :[

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 12, 2014 8:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2014 8:23 PM

My guess is you have a bad system installation. This could be from failing to properly prepare the drive or it could be a problem with the physical installation or a compatibility with the EVO models. In any event I would start at:

Install Mavericks, Lion/Mountain Lion Using Internet Recovery

Be sure you backup your files to an external drive or second internal drive because the following procedure will remove everything from the hard drive.

Boot to the Internet Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND-OPTION- R keys until a globe appears on the screen. Wait patiently - 15-20 minutes - until the Recovery main menu appears.

Partition and Format the hard drive:

1. Select Disk Utility from the main menu and click on the Continue button.

2. After DU loads select your newly installed hard drive (this is the entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the left side list. Click on the Partition tab in the DU main window.

3. Under the Volume Scheme heading set the number of partitions from the drop down menu to one. Click on the Options button, set the partition scheme to GUID then click on the OK button. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Partition button and wait until the process has completed. Quit DU and return to the main menu.

Reinstall Lion/Mountain Lion. Mavericks: Select Reinstall Lion/Mountain Lion, Mavericks and click on the Install button. Be sure to select the correct drive to use if you have more than one.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet

if possible because it is three times faster than wireless.

This should restore the version of OS X originally pre-installed on the computer.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 12, 2014 8:23 PM in response to itsyourboykenny

My guess is you have a bad system installation. This could be from failing to properly prepare the drive or it could be a problem with the physical installation or a compatibility with the EVO models. In any event I would start at:

Install Mavericks, Lion/Mountain Lion Using Internet Recovery

Be sure you backup your files to an external drive or second internal drive because the following procedure will remove everything from the hard drive.

Boot to the Internet Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND-OPTION- R keys until a globe appears on the screen. Wait patiently - 15-20 minutes - until the Recovery main menu appears.

Partition and Format the hard drive:

1. Select Disk Utility from the main menu and click on the Continue button.

2. After DU loads select your newly installed hard drive (this is the entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the left side list. Click on the Partition tab in the DU main window.

3. Under the Volume Scheme heading set the number of partitions from the drop down menu to one. Click on the Options button, set the partition scheme to GUID then click on the OK button. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Partition button and wait until the process has completed. Quit DU and return to the main menu.

Reinstall Lion/Mountain Lion. Mavericks: Select Reinstall Lion/Mountain Lion, Mavericks and click on the Install button. Be sure to select the correct drive to use if you have more than one.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet

if possible because it is three times faster than wireless.

This should restore the version of OS X originally pre-installed on the computer.

Mar 13, 2014 2:46 AM in response to itsyourboykenny

So I tried the Safe Mode method. Still no avail, same error message shows up. So I went ahead and did the online reinstall, followed every step to the T.

Apparently my Macbook shipped with OSX Lion so it started downloading Lion naturally. It was going well until the actual installation part. It said that there was an error during the installation. I know when you install Mavericks you lose the ability to boot Windows from USB which means they updated the bootloader possibly, could this have caused the error? So far I've tried twice and same error.

Could it be that my MBP is just not compatible with the EVO?

Mar 13, 2014 3:03 AM in response to itsyourboykenny

Once you boot into OS X go to the System Preferences and make sure the SSD is slected as the Boot source, Startup Disk and then click Restarts twice.

I've seen this happen when the EFI, Firmware, is unsure, doesn't really know, which drive to load the OS from. If your original drive that you placed in the Optical bay has any trace of an install of OS X on it and you haven't properly selected the Startup Disk you can get these errors.

Mar 13, 2014 3:37 AM in response to itsyourboykenny

Then 2 things come to mind.

1) Faulty SSD. That happens.

2) Faulty drive to logic board cable. This is a known weak link in the MBP drive chain. Works fine, or seems to work fine, with slower rotating HDDs and gives errors with Faster SSDs or hibrid drives.

There are several posts about this cable problem. But in my opinion the cable can fail at any time.

Stick the SSD in the optical bay and see if you get the same result. If you don't then it is the cable. But some Mac models don't like fast drives in the optical bay so it is not really a test of the SSD itself.

Mar 12, 2016 11:56 AM in response to itsyourboykenny

hello i have the same problem with the same configuration (sad and 2nd hdd to optical bay) same model and with the same response, if i leave the mac open for a while this the prohibite sing it boots ok and work.... the problem is that when i have tried to install my ssd i destroy the original cable so i bought a new one from eBay... so now you believe that problem was the cable? if i use the ssd to optical bay what speed i could have? what is the speed of optical sata bus?

and if i use it to optical bay mac will boot ok? can i install the 2nd disk to the cable and ssd to optical and start mac os from ssd?

thank you.

Prohibitory Sign at Boot after SSD upgrade... But with a twist?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.