Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My new AppleTV will not "set date and time". I took it to the Apple store and they downloaded software from iTunes and "restored" to factory settings ... came back home, turned on same result. It gets stucl on "setting date and time".

New AppleTV unable to set date and time, took it to the Apple store and they were able to set the date and time and did a "restore" ... tried it when i got home, same result. locks up on the "setting date and time" screen.

Posted on Mar 12, 2014 8:14 PM

4 replies

Aug 3, 2015 6:54 AM in response to psglynn

G'day mate,

I had this problem too, and it took me a while to sort it out.

So it turns out, here in Australia, only one Internet Service Provider (ISP) includes or uses the date / time function in their modems. This means, unless your ISP is Telstra, you will most certainly have the activation error you are speaking about.

To fix this problem, create a Personal Hotspot with your iPhone and connect your Apple TV to your iPhone. Activate the Apple TV, then you can go ahead and connect to your standard home WiFi.

Hope this helps.

Pete.

Aug 3, 2015 12:01 PM in response to frittingles

You keep posting this answer to old threads.

The situation where the problem is resolved by switching to another wi fi network has only been occurring for a few weeks, older problems are a result of something else.

Also, something doesn't add up with what you are saying, unless all these providers in Australia suddenly removed the time server a few weeks ago, how would you explain that everyone's Apple TV worked just fine before this.

My new AppleTV will not "set date and time". I took it to the Apple store and they downloaded software from iTunes and "restored" to factory settings ... came back home, turned on same result. It gets stucl on "setting date and time".

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.