Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost connection to my cable modem

Ok people I am hoping that you can help me out here. Yesterday my Time Capsule stop connecting to the internet through the cable modem. Called Comcast assuming it was there service. After an extensive check process we determined that service and the cable modem were working correctly. So then i proceeded to call Apple Support. Again through the check process of all the peices that are connected to finally determine that the TC was the culprit. I took the TC back to the Apple Store and they graciously exchanged it out. I took it back home hooked it up and it we are back to where I started, the new TC is responding exactly like the old unit. So my cable modem is a Motorala SB6141 and I have sevice through Comcast. The cable modem and TC have been working together for 6 months before this happened, with no new hardware added in the last three months. The cable modem when connected to the computer (Mac or Windows) directly can connect to the internet. I even tried connecting the cable modem to a AirPort Express and it had the same effect as the TC. So does anybody have any suggestions?

Posted on Mar 12, 2014 8:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2014 9:17 PM

The SB6141 is problematic with the Airport routers.

There is some issue of compatibility.. it is hard to figure out.

If you replace the cable modem with a different one it will be more likely to work. I am not in the US so just look at posts about the more compatible models. Or simply use another brand router, and set the TC in bridge and use it as wireless and backup target.

I do think you can get some improvement in some cases using a crossover cable. I have made that recommendation and it has worked for people.

Or a small 10/100 switch between the two .. cable modem and TC.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5391254?answerId=23236139022#23236139022&ac_cid=tw123456#23236139

You need to power cycle the modem whenever you change router.. I am guessing you are doing that.. but just to be sure.. at least 15-30min is required with some ISP.. 5min for others.. some are much longer..

The ISP must drop your previously connected equipment to pick up the new one.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 12, 2014 9:17 PM in response to Blackrc1

The SB6141 is problematic with the Airport routers.

There is some issue of compatibility.. it is hard to figure out.

If you replace the cable modem with a different one it will be more likely to work. I am not in the US so just look at posts about the more compatible models. Or simply use another brand router, and set the TC in bridge and use it as wireless and backup target.

I do think you can get some improvement in some cases using a crossover cable. I have made that recommendation and it has worked for people.

Or a small 10/100 switch between the two .. cable modem and TC.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5391254?answerId=23236139022#23236139022&ac_cid=tw123456#23236139

You need to power cycle the modem whenever you change router.. I am guessing you are doing that.. but just to be sure.. at least 15-30min is required with some ISP.. 5min for others.. some are much longer..

The ISP must drop your previously connected equipment to pick up the new one.

Lost connection to my cable modem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.