Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macs have lost the ability to use external microphones after a hardware mute

Hello,

I recently discovered an issue with the microphone of my Sennheiser headset and my newly purchased 15" Retina MacBook Pro. I use an adapter to combine the two 2-contact phone connectors from the headset into a 4-contact phone connector. One clever feature of this particular headset is that the microphone broom also acts as a mute switch: raise the mic and it is disconnected, lower it again and it is reconnected.

This setup worked flawlessly for many years with my previous 17" MBP but with the new one, trouble started. Connecting the headset with the microphone lowered works as before, the mac recognizes external speakers and microphone and happily proceeds to use them for audio output/input. Muting the microphone also works as expected, since that functionality rests with the headset. Unmuting it, however, doesn't work anymore. The MBP still recognizes the existence of an external microphone but no signal is received. Disconnecting and reconnecting the entire headset restores the microphone signal. This is 100% reproducible.

This is not limited to the Retina MacBook Pro and my machine does not have a hardware defect. I went to an Authorized Apple Service Provider / Reseller to test this with their showroom machines. Every current Mac except the 13" non-Retina MacBook Pro and the Mac Mini showed the same inability to use a microphone after a hardware mute. Even the $3,000 Mac Pro disappointed in this matter.

A quick search lead me to the Cirrus 4208-CRZ audio processor, which is in the Retina MBPs, MacBook Airs, and the Mac Pro, as well as the Cirrus Logic 4206BCNZ. which can be found in iMacs, as suspected culprits.

With this problem, the mute functionality in my headset has turned from being clever and useful to my biggest annoyance. When I Skype with someone and want to mute my microphone to prevent them from hearing me drink, sneeze, cough, or blow my nose I have to break my habit of simply raising the microphone and remember the key for the software mute which still leaves the microphone in the way.

I already sent a bug report via the feedback page and the AppleCare representative I contacted aout this issue is waiting for a response from the development department but I fear that this will simply be ignored or brushed off and swept under the carpet as 'not fixable with a software update'.

How can this slip through QA? How come that I couldn't find any report on this? I can't be the only person using a microphone with hardware mute on a relatively new Mac. A similar mute functionality is present in many headsets.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 13, 2014 3:10 AM

10 replies

Jan 5, 2017 8:23 AM in response to Kamikaze28

This was extremely helpful. I've been experiencing the same problem for the last few months and couldn't figure out why it would seemingly "randomly" stop receiving any input until I disconnected and reconnected. When I saw this comment I immediately tested it by starting a new audio recording with quicktime and then just flicked the microphone with my finger. The audio input immediately shut off and didn't come back until I unplugged and plugged it back in. This happens with every microphone and headset I own, including Apple headsets.

Mar 13, 2014 5:56 AM in response to BobRz

• Going into the Audio System Preferences -> input, lowering the volume to 0 % and raising it back up accomplishes nothing for me.
  • Software-mute toggles within applications like TeamSpeak also have no effect.
  • Going into the Audi-MIDI-Setup (where you can do fun stuff like switching the stereo output channels system-wide) and fiddling with the input settings there also has no effect, including the mute checkbox next to the sensitivity slider.

So far I have found no other "solution" for re-enabling the microphone apart from disconnecting and reconnecting the entire headset.

Mar 15, 2014 3:04 AM in response to Kamikaze28

I have yet to hear back from the AppleCare representative who contacted the developers about this. While I hope to get a positive response (i. e. "thanks for bringing this to our attention, will fix in future patch") I fear that the response will either be non-existent or appeasing. My course of action will then be to repeatedly bang the drums about this issue until it reaches the right person. In this spirit, I have posted a link to this discussion on reddit.

Mar 19, 2014 10:05 AM in response to Kamikaze28

I've just spoken with AppleCare again and I have some news from the developers.

The problem is known and it indeed lies with a new line of audio-controllers that was integrated in recent revisions of different models. They are working on a patch but there is no estimation for when this will be available.

The AppleCare representative also urged me to recommend the feedback form to funnel customer opinions directly into the respective channels. The more people complain about such an issue the higher they prioritize it, I suppose.

Aug 6, 2014 4:30 PM in response to Kamikaze28

I can confirm this issue. It's not just related to your lowering and raising the mic boom. It happens to me fairly randomly (at least I haven't narrowed down the steps that cause it) and frequently throughout the day. About half the time I start a Skype call or Hangout, the person can't hear me and I have to unplug and plug in the combined mic/headset. This happens with both a Steelseries Siberia v2 and a pair of red V-Moda earbuds.

If you do hear anything back from the Apple Developers, please post here.

Thanks!

Derek in Atlanta

Oct 18, 2014 3:19 PM in response to derek.deraps

During further investigations, I have determined that the cause of the lost microphone functionality is not the disconnecting and reconnecting but the resulting signal spike. You can reproduce the same "dead microphone"-problem by clapping your hands together or by any other loud noises like bumping the microphone against something, basically anything that produces a signal above a certain threshold will just make the audio input give up until you reconnect the entire device.

I have yet to find out whether OS X 10.10 Yosemite fixed this issue or not.

Macs have lost the ability to use external microphones after a hardware mute

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.