Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto can't open, and I can't copy/paste iPhoto Library to make a backup

I hope some of you can help me with an advice.

I am not a very experienced user.

The problem is:

My pictures are on an external hard drive (EHD), which iPhoto connects to.

But iPhoto won't open. All I get is a rainbow circle.

By clicking on the icon and pressing Option + Command, iPhoto is offering to repair to library.

Before doing that, I want to make a backup of all pictures (as suggested by iPhoto).

How can I make a backup?

Yesterday, I tried to copy/paste the master folder (from iPhoto Library package) from EHD to my computer. Action was interrupted, the computer telling me there is an error in some image file (IMG).

Today, I tried to copy/paste the whole iPhoto Library package from EHD to my computer. Again, the action was stopped, this time telling me there is an error called "-36".

Time Machine has not been switched on, because I didn't knew about it.

So, if anyone have some ideas, I'd be very tankful.

I am afraid of loosing all pictures (should have made a backup long time ago).

Greetings,

Tobias / Korallen (Denmark)

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 13, 2014 6:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 13, 2014 6:06 AM

Don't try to copy and paste. Use an app to make the back up - something like Chronsync, or any app that makes a plain copy of the data. it will deal with the permissions issues (like the -36 one) for you.

What format is your external drive?

9 replies

Mar 13, 2014 11:53 AM in response to Yer_Man

Cool.

By the way. ChronoSync offers a set of different ways to syncronize or back up files.

Do I understand it right if I think that what I need is a so called "left-to-right blind backup" in order to save my pictures from a black hole in the universe? (left being external hard drive, right being my iMac).

One alternative is a bootable backup (whatever that means), among many other alternatives of syncronization.

I'm terribly afraid of doing wrong choises and to loose all pictures.

Mar 14, 2014 2:09 PM in response to Yer_Man

Getting the library out of the failing external hard drive worked fine, using ChronoSync.

But when I imported the library via "ChronoSync", something strange happened; it had imported two different iPhoto libraries, that overlapped partially in a certain period of time, hence a lot of duplicates. That is weird, because iPhoto has always only referred to one library on that very same external hard drive.

Anyway, I started to merge these two libraries into one, using "iPhoto Library Manager" to exclude duplicates, and to take care of the whole thing. This seemed to work fine, but after 5 hours, "iPhoto Library Manager" stops the merging because there is not enough space on the iMac hard drive.

I am wondering why it suddenly needs more space for merging two libraries that are already at the iMac hard drive.

Mar 15, 2014 2:51 AM in response to Korallen

An update ofthe problem:

First I used the program to delete the duplicates. Then I have tried to merge the one library into the other (a very time-consuming task, not a problem for me, I just hope this is normal. It is quite a large task, I am a bit confused to what is what, but I know that before I started to eliminate the duplicates-there was about 420 GB og films&fotos, I would guess that roughly a third of this was duplicates. )

During the merging (lets call the libraries A and B), there occurred problems with lack of space, I freed as much space as I could. Before merging I controlled the computers storage, and I can now see that the film and foto storage have increase a lot and there is only 16 GB available on the computer. Does the merging work in a manner that it copies the photos into the desired library, but still keeps the original? (So that B appears as a duplicate in A) If so. Would a solution be to split the one library into several, and merge them into the main library one by one, each time deleting the library that has been merged into the main library?

And how do I solve the problem as it is now? In some way I must terminate the merging task. But will this jeopardize anything? Or will it simply be so that the photos that have been merged already are in the main library (e.g. A is now (A+ parts of B)). And in it this way I can proceed by the same manner as before: I use the software to eliminate the duplicates between the “new” main library (A+ parts of B) and the one I originally wanted to merge into the main library (B).

I hope this somehow makes sense, sorry for the tedious explanation.

I appreciate all the help!

iPhoto can't open, and I can't copy/paste iPhoto Library to make a backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.