Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I keep getting prompts to update my ipad to the latest version. I often have new problems when I update. Any advice?

Hi all,

I have a mini ipad using version 6.1.3 I keep getting prompts to update my ipad to the latest version 7.1. I often have new problems when I update. Any advice?

Thanks

TexasLee

iPad, iOS 6.1.3, I'm new to the forum.

Posted on Mar 13, 2014 8:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 13, 2014 8:50 AM

I would recommend updating because updates always fix a lot of serious bugs along with adding some nice improvements. I had iOS 7.0.6 on my iPad Air before I upgraded to 7.1. Before the update I used to get occasional crashes and sluggish animations when multitasking. With the update it fixed all of the problems I had before and the whole experience is buttery smooth, but it also messed up the volume for the Videos app. Now watching movies on my iPad sounds muffled unless I crank the volume to max. And hopefully they'll release a patch to that silly bug soon. Overall the benefits of the updates are more than the negatives, the 7.1 update has CarPlay, refined user interface, and made the entire OS seem more polished than before, that's why I suggest installing it.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 13, 2014 8:50 AM in response to TexasLee

I would recommend updating because updates always fix a lot of serious bugs along with adding some nice improvements. I had iOS 7.0.6 on my iPad Air before I upgraded to 7.1. Before the update I used to get occasional crashes and sluggish animations when multitasking. With the update it fixed all of the problems I had before and the whole experience is buttery smooth, but it also messed up the volume for the Videos app. Now watching movies on my iPad sounds muffled unless I crank the volume to max. And hopefully they'll release a patch to that silly bug soon. Overall the benefits of the updates are more than the negatives, the 7.1 update has CarPlay, refined user interface, and made the entire OS seem more polished than before, that's why I suggest installing it.

Mar 13, 2014 9:04 AM in response to TexasLee

Updates usually bring some changes. Some good others not so much. The update to 7.0 was a major update that many people had some problems with. The look changed quite dramatically. But keeping an open mind I went ahead and accepted the changes. No I can't remember what iOS 6 was like. The latest update to iOS 7.1 brings some nice tweaks. There are more controls to handle visibility and motion, some settings are more clear, and other new settings add welcomes adjustments.

If you are using iOS 6 still, I'd definitely suggest updating to iOS 7.1. The many new security features alone make the update worthwhile. If you already have iOS 7.0.x I still would recommend updating to 7.1. There are some bug fixes, Safari seems to run a lot quicker and smoother and the new settings are good.

I keep getting prompts to update my ipad to the latest version. I often have new problems when I update. Any advice?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.