Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installation of snow leopard 10.6.8 fails on a mid-2010 Macbook Pro fails

Hi,

I have bought an official Snow Leopard 10.6.8 DVD at the Apple Store and triy now to boot a mid-2010 Macbook Pro with it in order to install it on this computer.

The hd of this Macbook has been refreshed and therefore cannot be boot.

The DVD boots, a grey Apple appears on the screen and then nothings else appends (no menu, no installation bar...). I have tried all methods given in the installation procedure...

I suspect an incompatibility (firmware, other...) and apparently the original version of MacOS was Snow Leopard 10.6.3 but I don't have it. And I nor can boot to upgrade tsome of these elements... Any Ideao to solve this ?

Many thanks in advance

pidji7

MacBook Pro, Harddisk installation

Posted on Mar 13, 2014 9:20 AM

3 replies

Mar 13, 2014 9:32 PM in response to pidji7

pidji7,

when you say that its hard drive has been “refreshed”, do you mean that it is a replacement hard drive? If so, has the hard drive been formatted yet in Disk Utility?

Note that you can purchase a replacement pair of grey installation DVDs for your model MacBook Pro from Apple; along with its original version of Snow Leopard, you’d also get its original iLife applications and its Apple Hardware Test.

Mar 14, 2014 5:53 AM in response to Melophage

Hello Melophage,

It is the original hard drive which should have been erased by the previous owner. The problem is, I cannot access it without any OS installed. Or maybe there is a bootable USB or DVD that can do it ?

Just an indication: when I boot without CD inserted in it, it shows a grey folder icon with a questionmark like this one:

User uploaded file

Thank you for your help

PS: Yes, I am interested by the replacement pair of grey installation DVDs for my model. Where can I purchase this ?

Installation of snow leopard 10.6.8 fails on a mid-2010 Macbook Pro fails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.