Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I run 2 versions of iTunes on my computer?

So many people just hate the new versions of iTunes. But you are forced to upgrade if you want to sync to devices or the cloud. But what if I just wanted that really good music player that was part of iTunes v.9? (or version 10, or whatever version you preferred)

There are websites that archive OLD VERSIONS of iTunes. Am I able to download one of those, and install it AS A SECOND APP on my computer, so if I'm syncing, I'll launch the new version, but for my day to day music playing, I can launch the older version of the app.

I'm afraid to experiment on this for fear of wiping all my data. But I wondered if anyone else has successfully accomplished this.... or if anyone has confirmed that this is something that is impossible to do.

Thanks in advance for your replies. 🙂

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Mar 13, 2014 9:34 AM

12 replies

Mar 13, 2014 10:06 PM in response to airboater

These are a few free alternatives to iTunes (March, 2014). There may be others, including commercial DJ software. You should review them but I doubt any offer syncing support to Apple i-devices.

aTunes* - http://www.atunes.org/?page_id=6 Check about additional components required for full features.

Songbird (no longer updated, see Nightingale) - http://sourceforge.net/projects/songbird.mirror/

Nightingale - http://getnightingale.com

Jajuk* - http://jajuk.info/index.php/Mac_OS_installation_guide

*Run under Java 6 which may be slower.

Updates to tags done outside the currently open library won't show until you activate the track. iTunes maintains its own copy of the tag data and refers to that until you cause it to re-read the medium file. This could be as simple as simply using the arrow bar to go down a list, though there are scripts that will do it in bulk for a series of tags (slow). So, if you edit a tag and then switch library the edit won't show in the other library until you highlight the track or try to play it.

Mar 13, 2014 10:50 AM in response to Niel

Wow. So Apple has made a product that if I want it to perform in the best way (for me) then I need to buy a whole seperate system (a mac mini would be the cheapest way, I guess) - and then use that other computer to sync my stuff, while this computer to listen, sort, fiddle with, and enjoy my music collection.

Sorry Apple, not gonna happen. You've got me looking at just changing my whole system over to a windows system because there are several windows database apps for managing a mucis library. Not like on the Mac where there is only one app for playing and organizing my music.

Way to go. Way to inspire, please, and create dedicated customers.

Mar 13, 2014 11:02 AM in response to Niel

As Niel says, you would have to have two separate iTunes libraries. They could use the same media (with some limitations) but once a library file is opened with one version it cannot be opened by an earlier version, so you would have to have two separate sets of library files. Then too if you are using one user account you might encounter issues with two version of iTunes trying to utilize one set of preferences files, and user library files, so you may have to run the other iTunes from a separate user account. I don't think you would have to run a separate operating system. I still use iTunes 7.5 and I don't see any support files in the system-wide application support library (but do have scripts in my user library). Maybe a newer version puts some there but as long as your older version didn't have any then it wouldn't notice.

Mar 13, 2014 9:28 PM in response to Limnos

Thanks. I don't see that happening any time soon, as to install a second whole OS on computer is something I don't have enough hard drive space for. I do see some possibilities in the user accounts part. ANd as I recall the era around version 7.5 was an era I was mostly pleased with iTunes.... well.... at least better than now. I wanted split screen then more than I want it now, but at least then I could open a second window.

It is disappointing to need two library files, as I do spend a lot of time tweaking my database info.

FOLLOW-UP QUESTION:

Since the building of the database is largely (for my concerns) built from the song file's metadata tags, what would happen as I started to change those metadata tags?

Simple example: In the older version, I add a comment to a song using the old version's get info dialog pane. When I launch the newer version, and open that song, will I see the comment? hmmmm... sounds like some experimenting is in my future.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Mar 13, 2014 9:38 PM in response to Niel

Interesting ideas Niel. I'm going to hope that the older version of itunes is compatible with 10.9 whatever-predator-cat-they're-on-now. (ugh, that stupid animal os crap has confounded me since it started, but I digress) 🙂

I'm not wanting to go back to the days of SoundJamMP running on System8.5 - which I loved, by the way - UNTIL THE APP WAS PURCHASED BY APPLE.... and shortly afterwards iTunes came out, and I basically had my SoundJamMP back!!!! It got a little better for a few years, till the iPod then iPhone stole it as it's own interface app. It went downhill as a music player from there.

I so wish there was a competetive market of music players!!! When I find NONE, I have to assume that Apple stiffles the apps that get written. (?) does that make any sense? Do they censor new apps that compete with their own stuff???

Can I run 2 versions of iTunes on my computer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.