Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook using too much memory

Hi guys,

Weirdly my macbook pro (mid 2012 model) is using too much ram, core i5, 4 gb ram

Take a look at this screenshot...

While I took this screen, I was using only chrome (4 tabs), itunes (wasn't playing anything), and utorrent, nothing else!

I have a friend who has a Macbook Air 13.3" and with VM, CAD software, music playing, safari, his macbook uses 3.80 gb (same as me without VM)

I've done a clean install of the OSX 10.9.2 (to remove previous mountain lion files etc), my computer even frozen once, had to manually turn it off...

Does anyone know what can I do? Thinking about buying buying 2 modules of 4 gb but is there another solution besides buying more ram? This laptop isn't 1 year old =/

Thank you guys!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 13, 2014 11:22 AM

5 replies

Mar 13, 2014 11:39 AM in response to w00x

You did not post s screen shot.

Chrome and OSX do not always get along with each other and I would suggest that you try another browser. (you might search these forums for specifics)

You fail to indicate what OSX your friends MBA is using. There maynot be an Apple to Apple comparison here.

8 Gb of RAM will be an improvement and I suggest that you procure it from OWC or Crucial. They are the most reliable vendors of Mac RAM.

Last, be apprised that Mavericks has a different approach to RAM usage and what may appear to be 'too much' RAM being used may in fact be the most efficient use of the RAM that is available. Not to become alarmed.

Ciao.

Mar 13, 2014 4:31 PM in response to w00x

I do not see any problems with the Activity Monitor data in regards to RAM. As I see it, there are no Swaps and the Wired RAM is normal in my estimation.

As an aside, i suggest that you try another browser as I alluded to you before. Also I would get rid of the torrent application. They are often an invitation to malware or trojans.

Comparing your friends MBA and your MBP is still not an Apple to Apple situation. (pun intended) The Air has ssd storage, your Pro does not which will distort the results. In addition you would have to compare them with EXACTLY the same criteria. Doing that is not worth the effort.

Unless you are having performance issues there is no cause for alarm.

Do consider increasing it to 8 GB if the bank account allows. The new OSXs seem happier with that amount.

Ciao.

Macbook using too much memory

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.