Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro 13" constantly freezing in all applications OSX 10.8

My 2012 Macbook Pro 13" has recently started to freeze whilst using any program (the mouse icon turns into the rotating beach ball and the computer freezes, I can click on other programs usually, but sometimes the whole thing freezes). I sought help and was told that it was a corrupt operating system (which was 10.7), so I backed up my data and wiped hard drive, then reinstalled the operating system (10.8) and moved data back onto the computer, but the problem is still occurring.

I've performed the utilities check which doesn't report the hard drive as having any issues. The issue also seems to be particularly bad when running spotify - I have uninstalled and reinstalled spotify but that hasn't made a difference.

Memory also isn't the issue, there is 600gb free out of the 700bg available.

When the problem occurs, activity monitor reports the program that freezes to be "not responding"

Does anybody know how to resolve this issue? thanks

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Mar 13, 2014 1:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 13, 2014 1:29 PM

If you go into disk utility and select the top level of the hard drive does the smart status state verified or failing ?

5 replies

Mar 13, 2014 1:38 PM in response to jec93

also use activity monitor to check that there is CPU capacity free as well as system memory as it could quite possibly be there are too many apps ruuning in the backgorund chewing up system resources either that or something that was brought back from your backup after you performed an erase and install is causing the issue

Mar 13, 2014 5:39 PM in response to Knoddix

The smart status in disk utility states verified, also activity monitor seems to show CPU capacity and system memory are free - the problem occurs even if i'm just running safari. I really don't have much extra stuff on the computer apart from office, spotify and a stats program.. do you have any idea what types of things could be causing this that i may have brought back from the backup? is a malware feasible?

Mar 13, 2014 10:40 PM in response to jec93

try booting into safe mode by holding shift when you first turn the computer on give it several minutes to startup (you should see a progress bar if its booting to safemode if you dont see a progress bar after the apple symbol on boot try turn the mac off and try again sometimes it takes several attempts to get it to boot to safe mode) once the mac has booted into safe mode login and see if the computer is still as slow (also dont worry if the graphics are a bit off in safe mode thats normal) basically by booting to safe mode it disables all software that is not made by apple until you restart as normal then the mac will go back to normal if everything is ok in safe mode repost and ill advise of next steps if you have the same issue in safe mode backup the mac and then do another erase and install and then dont restore your backup until you have verified that the mac runs ok without your data once you have verified the mac runs ok without your data you can manually migrate important stuff back

Macbook Pro 13" constantly freezing in all applications OSX 10.8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.