Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Share Monitor doesn't return status of Compressor 4 jobs

I have a client wanting to upgrade from Compressor 3 to 4.1 for their automated workflows. It looks like the product just isn't ready for primetime yet - Apple, would love some help with this!

We have success submitting jobs using the command line:

/Applications/Compressor.app/Contents/MacOS/Compressor -computergroup "Group Name" -jobpath "sourcepath" -settingpath "settingpath.cmprstng" -locationpath "destinationpath" -batchname "Name Here" 2>&1

I then receive job ID and batch ID just like in Compressor 3 on stderr:

2014-03-13 12:19:46.141 Compressor[9696:507] owner is: user

2014-03-13 12:19:46.184 Compressor[9696:507] <jobID E3ED461E-71DA-4838-87F5-0F420F0282B9 /> <batchID BC4787F2-EE43-45FB-B811-BCC87A53D600 />

However, trying to use Share Monitor to retrieve status of my submission does not respond as expected:

/Applications/Compressor.app/Contents/PlugIns/Compressor/CompressorKit.bundle/Co ntents/EmbeddedApps/Share\ Monitor.app/Contents/MacOS/Share\ Monitor -clustername "Group Name" -jobid "ADDC9FC2-4356-4D9F-8C13-DE9876B690E7" -batchid "12D9BA6C-2CE6-4AC8-A798-222C4B136C6F"

Timed out

What's going wrong? Is this functionality just not implemented / ready to use yet in Compressor 4.1? Fwiw, it does look like Apple hasn't quite finished getting Share Monitor changed over from Batch Monitor, because the command line help refers to clusterid, clustername, etc. instead of v4-esq computergroup:

/Applications/Compressor.app/Contents/PlugIns/Compressor/CompressorKit.bundle/Co ntents/EmbeddedApps/Share\ Monitor.app/Contents/MacOS/Share\ Monitor -help

Usage: "Share Monitor" [Cluster Info] [Job Specific Info] [Optional Info]

Cluster Info:

-clusterid <addr> -- ip address of the cluster, along with port number.

You may specify user/password information here if any.

-clustername <name> -- name of the cluster; not used if clusterid is provided.

-password <value> -- user password for the cluster that was specified by its id or name

Job Specific Info:

-jobid <id> -- unique id of the job usually obtained when job was submitted.

-batchid <id> -- unique id of the batch usually obtained when job was submitted.

Actions on Job:

-kill -- kill the job or batch specified by jobid or batchid.

-pause -- pause the job or batch specified by jobid or batchid.

-resume -- resume previously paused job or batch specified by jobid or batchid.

Optional Info:

-help -- Displays, on stdout, this help information.

-query <seconds> -- The value in seconds, specifies how often to query the cluster for job status.

-timeout <seconds> -- the timeOut value, in seconds, specifies when to quit the process.

Posted on Mar 13, 2014 1:06 PM

11 replies

Mar 13, 2014 1:54 PM in response to jamesheliker

There are no clusters in Compressor 4.1.x, everything is "This Computer". The computer group thing is "This Computer" with the ability to specify machines like a managed cluster. I dont think you are supposed to be using Share Monitor anymore, as you cannot access it anywhere in Compressor 4.1.x, however you can still use it if you specify "This Computer" as the clustername. I still use it because I like seeing what machines process what segments, but in general it looks like this functionality was put into the Active/Completed tabs. If you are doing automation, you can probably still use Share Monitor like you always did, just remember everything is essentially "This Computer".

Mar 13, 2014 2:07 PM in response to jamesheliker

Share Monitor was introduced with Compressor 4 - (not talking about Batch Monitor here), but thanks for playing :-)

Specifying "This Computer" for -clustername, -computergroup, etc as command line arguments doesn't change the output at all for me - it always comes back with "Timed out" and quits.

As I wrote on the top line, I'm dealing with automated workflows. Even though it does work, can't automate with the UI unfortunately...

Mar 13, 2014 2:38 PM in response to jamesheliker

There are different variants of Compressor 4. 4.0.x used Share Monitor. 4.1.x does not. And the command works for me:

macpro27:~ admin$ /Applications/Compressor.app/Contents/PlugIns/Compressor/CompressorKit.bundle/Co ntents/EmbeddedApps/Share\ Monitor.app/Contents/MacOS/Share\ Monitor -clustername "This Computer" -batchid 61CA37B1-BFF0-40B8-89AF-F8237F6D1CEE -timeout 5

<batchStatus name="Day33 s02.mov" submissionTime="3/12/14, 7:12:08 PM" sentBy="admin" timeElapsed="8 minute(s)" timeRemaining="0" timeElapsedSeconds="535" timeRemainingSeconds="0" percentComplete="100" resumePercentComplete="100" status="Successful" batchid="61CA37B1-BFF0-40B8-89AF-F8237F6D1CEE" /batchStatus>

<jobStatus name="Day33 s02.mov" submissionTime="3/12/14, 7:12:08 PM" sentBy="admin" jobType="" priority="HighPriority" timeElapsed="8 minute(s)" timeRemaining="0" timeElapsedSeconds="535" timeRemainingSeconds="0" percentComplete="100" resumePercentComplete="100" status="Successful" jobid="AA5017AE-76EF-46F4-9319-2F0456CBF306" batchid="61CA37B1-BFF0-40B8-89AF-F8237F6D1CEE" /jobStatus>

<batchStatus name="Day33 s02.mov" submissionTime="3/12/14, 7:12:08 PM" sentBy="admin" timeElapsed="8 minute(s)" timeRemaining="0" timeElapsedSeconds="535" timeRemainingSeconds="0" percentComplete="100" resumePercentComplete="100" status="Successful" batchid="61CA37B1-BFF0-40B8-89AF-F8237F6D1CEE" /batchStatus>

<jobStatus name="Day33 s02.mov" submissionTime="3/12/14, 7:12:08 PM" sentBy="admin" jobType="" priority="HighPriority" timeElapsed="8 minute(s)" timeRemaining="0" timeElapsedSeconds="535" timeRemainingSeconds="0" percentComplete="100" resumePercentComplete="100" status="Successful" jobid="AA5017AE-76EF-46F4-9319-2F0456CBF306" batchid="61CA37B1-BFF0-40B8-89AF-F8237F6D1CEE" /jobStatus>

Timed out

This is using Compressor 4.1.1. Just occured to me that you might not be doing this on the machne that submitted the batch. Remember, this is This Computer, so you have to be on the submission machine in order for it to work.

Message was edited by: AnonimaKontonWTF Reduced output

Mar 13, 2014 2:57 PM in response to jamesheliker

Russ - we're not saying the Share Monitor UI doesn't work - rather from the command line there seem to be some intricacies around what will make it function properly...

AnonimaKontonWTF, we are using Compressor 4.1.1 on OSX 10.9.1

If the concept of a "cluster" has gone away with Compressor 4, why do we still have to include that argument specifically?

I'll go back and try the command you copied exactly.

Mar 13, 2014 4:44 PM in response to jamesheliker

I am using 4.1.1 on 10.9.2. The concept of the "cluster" of the past versions has gone away. Before, it was this entity than any machine on the network could submit to, as you defined a controller and assigned nodes to it. With these new shared groups in 4.1.x, you cannot submit to it from another machine. You are always submitting to "This Computer". This distinction is

"This Computer" by itself.

"This Computer" with additional local instances.

"This Computer" with additional machines (with can include additional instances per machine), which is a group.

As for why you still specify -clustername "This Computer" to use Share Monitor and not -computergroup <group>? I will go back to my earlier assertion that Share Monitor is not really intended to be used anymore. It probably still works because -clustername "This Computer" should work, as "This Computer" is the simplist form of a cluster. You could do that in previous versions to monitor "This Computer". It just happens to be the only "cluster" you can have in 4.1.x. You can see this when you open Share Monitor by double clicking. You only see "This Computer", not the groups you defined in Compressor's preferences.

Mar 26, 2015 12:21 PM in response to jamesheliker

Hi James,

I see that this thread is just over a year old, but did you ever get this resolved where you can view your "cluster" or "group" in Share Monitor?

Our team is having the same issue where we can't see what the group is doing from all of the different computers that we submit from.

I'm trying to figure out what your command line is doing, but I'm having some difficulty deciphering it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Adrian

Share Monitor doesn't return status of Compressor 4 jobs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.