Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a macbook pro retina late 2013 13 inch that i want to exchange

I am well passed the return period but after multiple erase and installs, resinstalling mavericks, long chat sessions and phone calls with support I have just about had it with this machine. it freezes, eats all the availbale ram when running very few apps, and hte log/sync files are so long it is absurd. not to mention the trackpad wake problem.

it syncs with other computers on my network even with my firewall up and sharing disabled....nothing works the way it is supposed to (mail, browser, displays look pretty bad too).

I would ideally like to return the machine but i am outside the 14 day period to do so, and now i am going to take it into the store for diagnostic scan and stress test.

does anyone have any tips/comments etc. on what i should ask them while i am there? i am a novice when it comes to OSX and mavericks has been a nightmare for the most part.

in a perfect world I would exchange this machine for a top of the line macbook air 13inch.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 13, 2014 1:25 PM

13 replies

Mar 13, 2014 2:35 PM in response to Tim Pickering

My advice is that you be very detailed about the problems you are having. Don't give general descriptions like "it doesn't work right" as they won't be able to reproduce the problem unless you give them something specific. If there is a problem with the system, Apple will replace/repair it (you are still under warranty even if the 14 day return period is over).

Mar 13, 2014 3:51 PM in response to silvergc

Thanks! Yes, it is hard for me to cover all the issues as most have been somewhat minor and related to mavericks and mail/other features that just do not work as well as previous versions....not much you can do about that though.

however, I have had 5 if not more occasions where the permission problems were so bad i had to erase and install. Some occasions, I have had to reset PRAM (sp?) and even boot from an external disk to recover access to my own computer because Apple's recovery methods would not validate my license.

I have log files in sync and services that seem quite extensive (I am aware many are normal and can be ignored) related to kernel tasks, remote wakes by internal trackpad, syncing happening over a wifi network when all sharing is disabled....perhaps much could be avoided if I was more knowledgeable but for a computer that costs this much I should be spending my time using the features that make it so great, not fixing errors and reinstalling software and wondering what will happen next?

Anyway, I think the Macbook Air is a much better fit for me regardless, I tested it out when i bought the pro, and it was almost a toss up. I love the retina display but the Air (newest version, 13 inch) I have found is actually easier to look at sometimes depeding on what you set your resolution to.

for me it is more of a long time customer, happy for years, (owned multiple iphones, currently have an iphone 5, ipad mini (need to sell it if anyone is looking 🙂 ) ipad mini retina, macbook pro retina i am mentioning now and have a macbook retina i use at work.....now and a mac mini

Mar 13, 2014 5:32 PM in response to Tim Pickering

Here is what will happen when you take the machine to the "Geniuses." First, they'll run a hardware test, which will probably find no defects. Then they'll erase the internal drive and reinstall OS X without restoring any of your software or data. If the problems can't be reproduced in that state, they'll give it back to you and tell you it's in good working order.

Mar 13, 2014 7:15 PM in response to Linc Davis

so my options are ANOTHER erase and install if hardware comes up normal, and ending up back where i am now but without my files/documents etc.

the other option is to sell the machine, perhaps someone else would have better luck. anyone have a suggestion on where/how to best sell one of these that is in pristine condition (even have the original box)?

Mar 13, 2014 9:45 PM in response to turbostar

i have tried multiple re installs...at least a couple were as close to a "clean" install as I could do. my latest install was from the internet recovery tool and even then it didnt revert back to 10.9 it went to 10.9.1 which confuses me. i dont like the pro as it has too many issues with syncing, display problems, track pad issues and more. I could detail it all out or send a log file for view if that helps but i cannot get the computer back to "factory defaults" and apple support considers an erase and install of 10.9 just that.

I not only have all these issues but over time have realized this machine is overkill for me anyhow and want to move to the air as i have other devices/externals, etc. that cover my needs otherwise and the display on the air (while not as nice as retina) has it's advantages.

I believe if I buy a Macbook Air latest version it comes with a previous OS right? not mavericks? might be off on that one...

Back to my same question, any advice on how to exchange this machine for the top of hte line air or sell it and purchase the air outright?

Thanks for help though so far...it has been a frustrating ride and I have lost most patience explaining things over and over and over. 🙂

I also have a mac mini, airport time capsule, two ipad minis (one retina) iphone 5 and airport express...think it may be time to downgrade regardless...thoughts? comments? Tell me I am ignorant? 🙂

Mar 13, 2014 9:50 PM in response to Tim Pickering

Respectfully, it really reads like you're having buyer's remorse. Since you are outside your return window, you can always try and see if they will make an exception. If not, then the only practical option is to sell the Pro and get an Air.

If you're done with the Pro, then we don't need to troubleshoot anymore. If you want to see if it will work correctly, we can try one more time for a true, clean install:

boot holding down command+R (internet recovery)

use disk utility there to erase your HD to a single mac journaled partition

install Mavericks on this drive (the latest 10.9.2 will be installed)

For the time being, do not copy back or restore anything with Time Machine. Just see if your earlier issues return.

Mar 14, 2014 3:53 PM in response to Tim Pickering

Having read your entire post. You state no specifics, so no one here can really help you. You say you're tired of explaining the issues, but I'm sorry, you simply haven't as yet. I appreciate you are not that familiar with Mac OS - your words not mine.

I sincerely believe this could be down to user error and simply not knowing how to try and resolve issues yourself. It doesn't sound like you have properly clean installed your mac to me. It sounds very much like software issues not hardware, but as I say with me real details it's hard to even begin to help you out. Proof of such given in your statement that apples own hardware test have proved negative.

I've run macs for fifteen years and never had any significant system issues or hardware problems in that time over three iMacs of different models, one MacBook and my current MacBook Pro. The most recent update to mavericks is a very stable and reliable OS in my opinion and has caused me no issues what so ever with either the standard 4Gb or my current 16Gb ram setup.

You make no mention of what software you are running (Apps) and what you're doing when you have these issues. These issue could be down to the apps you're running and not caused by your macs hardware or OS. This agin would be indicated by the fact that when apple have reinstalled your mac to standard - it has had no issues.

Maybe if you provide some further details, the support of this community can actually help you.

Regards

Mar 14, 2014 11:11 PM in response to Robodisko

logic board was replaced and appears to be the root of all the issues....thanks for the help for those who provided useful information.

so yea, it was a hardware problem and although I am sure "user error" came in to play at some points as I was attempting to fix the issues, that was not the cause.

still a newbie, but not my first day on a mac.....

I have a macbook pro retina late 2013 13 inch that i want to exchange

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.