Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Blank (lighted, but black) screen with cursor at bootup

iMac running Mavericks 10.9.2, went to sleep one night--tried to wake it the next morning, and ever since have had only a blank screen as described above. A hard restart includes a chime, the apple sign, the spinning wheel, and then a black UNLIT screen. Pressing a key or clicking the mouse illuminates the black screen and shows the cursor--just as mentioned in the title. Also, while the cursor is showing, I can hear error sounds if I press a bunch of keyboard keys.

Stuff I've tried:

1) Boot in safe mode: same results

2) Reset PRAM/NVRAM: same results

3) Boot to Recovery Partition & Repair Disk in Disk Utility: all of this worked, but restart included the same results

4) Re-install Mavericks from Recovery Partition: same results

5) Re-install Mavericks from Bootable Drive: same results

What's next?

Any help would be great! Thanks.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 13, 2014 1:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2014 6:10 AM

I had the same issue with my 2008 iMac and Apple support walked me through the fix yesterday...

1. Shut the computer down by holding the power button for 10 seconds

2. Restart the computer and press shift at the same time until you see the progress bar start moving

3. Once you reach the point where your screen goes dark and you see the cursor, type the first letter of the username for your computer, then hit Enter, then type your password, then hit Enter.

4. After a moment, you should see the spinning beach ball

5. Your screen should then move on to something along the lines of "Completing OSX Installation" (I can't remember the exact wording). Let it finish. After that it should go to your normal desktop and the issue should be fixed. (If your screen goes pitch black during this process, hit the space bar. I thought it wasn't working, but the screen was just sleeping).

Apparently it's an issue with an automatic update that never quite got past the login screen.

Hope this helps!

24 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 17, 2014 6:10 AM in response to David.G.Henderson

I had the same issue with my 2008 iMac and Apple support walked me through the fix yesterday...

1. Shut the computer down by holding the power button for 10 seconds

2. Restart the computer and press shift at the same time until you see the progress bar start moving

3. Once you reach the point where your screen goes dark and you see the cursor, type the first letter of the username for your computer, then hit Enter, then type your password, then hit Enter.

4. After a moment, you should see the spinning beach ball

5. Your screen should then move on to something along the lines of "Completing OSX Installation" (I can't remember the exact wording). Let it finish. After that it should go to your normal desktop and the issue should be fixed. (If your screen goes pitch black during this process, hit the space bar. I thought it wasn't working, but the screen was just sleeping).

Apparently it's an issue with an automatic update that never quite got past the login screen.

Hope this helps!

Jun 10, 2014 10:02 PM in response to Gigilox

For those that the quick fix couldn't help.

Shut down the computer, wait ten seconds. Boot up holding down Command and S.

Release the keys once you see a black screen with white text. When the text stops, the bottom line should be

root#

Type in the following lines, after each line hit the return key.

mount -uw /

cd /Library/Preferences

mv com.apple.loginwindow.plist oldlogin

reboot

Once computer is rebooted, wait a few seconds if you are still getting the black screen, click around with your cursor.

Same thing happened to me.

Hope this helps.

Blank (lighted, but black) screen with cursor at bootup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.