Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I reset my iPod touch 5th generation using itunes?

I have a worded password on my iPod touch but I made a typo when I typed it in and I can't access my iPod. Is there any way that I can delete everything and reset the whole iPod using itunes and not the settings because I can't get to the settings. It is the 5th generation iPod toich (newest model) and it is currently using ios 7.0.6 as I can't update it to ios 7.1 without knowing the password.

iPod touch, iOS 7.0.6, forgotten password

Posted on Mar 13, 2014 4:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 15, 2014 7:31 AM

Hello there, KatKid.

The following Knowledge Base article offers up some great steps for restoring your iPod touch:

iOS: Forgotten passcode or device disabled after entering wrong passcode

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1212

If you have Find My iPhone enabled, you can use Remote Wipe to erase the contents of your device. If you have been using iCloud to back up, you may be able to restore the most recent backup to reset the passcode after the device has been erased.

Alternatively, place the device in recovery mode and restore it to erase the device:

1. Disconnect the USB cable from the device, but leave the other end of the cable connected to your computer's USB port.
  2. Turn off the device: Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button for a few seconds until the red slider appears, then slide the slider. Wait for the device to shut down.
  3. While pressing and holding the Home button, reconnect the USB cable to the device. The device should turn on.
  4. Continue holding the Home button until you see the Connect to iTunes screen.
  5. iTunes will alert you that it has detected a device in recovery mode. Click OK, and then restore the device.

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

Cheers,

Pedro.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 15, 2014 7:31 AM in response to KatKid

Hello there, KatKid.

The following Knowledge Base article offers up some great steps for restoring your iPod touch:

iOS: Forgotten passcode or device disabled after entering wrong passcode

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1212

If you have Find My iPhone enabled, you can use Remote Wipe to erase the contents of your device. If you have been using iCloud to back up, you may be able to restore the most recent backup to reset the passcode after the device has been erased.

Alternatively, place the device in recovery mode and restore it to erase the device:

1. Disconnect the USB cable from the device, but leave the other end of the cable connected to your computer's USB port.
  2. Turn off the device: Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button for a few seconds until the red slider appears, then slide the slider. Wait for the device to shut down.
  3. While pressing and holding the Home button, reconnect the USB cable to the device. The device should turn on.
  4. Continue holding the Home button until you see the Connect to iTunes screen.
  5. iTunes will alert you that it has detected a device in recovery mode. Click OK, and then restore the device.

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

Cheers,

Pedro.

Sep 19, 2015 8:18 PM in response to pedro d

Thank you so much! Basically, on my sister's iPod touch 5th generation, you could not connect to WiFi and the option was grayed out completely. I couldn't do a reset from the iPod because it asked for the Apple ID, and when I entered it, it tried to connect to iTunes. This was not possible because the device was not on WiFi. Luckily I found this answer! If I hadn't we would've had to go to the Apple store, and they might've not been able to help. So thank you!

How do I reset my iPod touch 5th generation using itunes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.