Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I updated my iphone 4s to ios7.1 and now can no longer receive picture messages: What I can I do to make it work?

I have iphone 4s, I can get online, surf the web, send and receive texts messages, send picture messages but cannot receive picture messages. Any help out there please?

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.1

Posted on Mar 13, 2014 3:58 PM

23 replies

Mar 13, 2014 5:18 PM in response to Allan Sampson

My carrier is Straight Talk, I spoke with them and they blamed it on the update and said that my iphone with the update has been restored to its original factory setting and that I need to unlock it again (which in all sincerity did not make any sense to me). She said that each time any unlocked iphone is updated, it restores it back to its factory/carrier settings. How true is that? I have no idea. I am still stuck with this

Mar 13, 2014 5:32 PM in response to chisco2000

How did you install the update - direct on your iPhone or with iTunes on your computer?

The iPhone is not restored to factory settings when installing the update direct on the iPhone and I'm pretty sure the same applies when installing a .X update. Your iPhone 4S did not ship with iOS 7, so when installing an iOS update it is not restored to the iOS version that was installed on the iPhone when new.

Even if your iPhone was restored to factory settings with the update, if the iPhone was officially unlocked, that remains in Apple's database. The iPhone is not re-locked to the carrier it was sold as carrier locked when new. Had that occured, you wouldn't be able to send SMS/MMS. You wouldn't be able to place or receive any calls or get online with Straight Talk either. You would have an error message that that SIM card is not supported. That happens with an iPhone that was hacked to be unlocked when installing an iOS update and when restoring a hacked iPhone with iTunes.

Straight Talk is full of it.

SMS/MMS are exchanged via the carrier's cellular network only and MMS with the iPhone requires cellular data. You are able to send MMS but not recieve. That isn't a problem with the iPhone or with the iOS update.

Mar 13, 2014 9:35 PM in response to Allan Sampson

I completely agree with you but I am still stuck with the problem as none of them could give me any solution to the problem but keep blaming one thing or another. They are not in any way acknowledging that it is their problem but saying that they can't assure that everything will work well when it comes to "bring your own phone". I am just tired and disgusted with the whole thing. I will still keep searching for answers/solution

Mar 14, 2014 3:59 PM in response to Allan Sampson

Straight Talk, H2O, Net 10 all use a separate MMS service system that runs off of a proxy of AT&T's system that is tied to the older Cingular backbone (http://mmsc.cingular.com and a proxy of wireless.cingular.com:80). Because these services all run off of AT&T's network the iPhones (whether unlocked or tied to AT&T) settings cannot be changed because the iPhone just loads AT&T's profile. In the case of factory unlocked phones it is Apple's fault that these settings are locked down, and since 7.1 even more so (because in this latest update they plugged a hole in the OS by thwarting the SIM Swap trick). An unlocked phone should be unlocked. Sure, you are going to say that it is the users fault for choosing a cheaper service, it makes it easier than placing the blame where it needs to go but if you consider that Apple has locked even their unlocked phones down to the point that they are only completely compatible with the larger networks the inability to change the settings just seems wrong.

Mar 14, 2014 5:25 PM in response to Allan Sampson

Your elitist nonsense aside. It's a problem Apple created by not allowing a factory unlocked device to be unlocked (ie able to change the settings as necessary on an AT&T MVNO). Extensibility is the key to successful and usable technology. A device that ceases to be flexible and extensible will eventually suffer a slow and horrific death. I don't think Apple was seeking to create an inflexible device when they created the iPhone. That is possibly why Steve Wozniak likes the Android platform better because the iOS platform is becoming less flexible. If all you are willing to do is grumble about people trying to save a little money, and not help solve the problem then your arguments are just going to be sheer useless conjecture.

Mar 14, 2014 5:51 PM in response to Maverick110

Sheer useless conjecture? Look in the mirror buddy boy. Many have been incorrectly predicting Apple's demise for quite a while including with the original iPhone. Inflexible? Not hardly.

This is a user to user help forum only, so no one here can help with an iPhone that was previously carrier locked with ATT and is now unlocked that doesn't require settings to be entered or changed for MMS, and the OP has no problem sending MMS. There are plenty of carriers worldwide this isn't a problem for so to say the carrier has no responsibility whatsoever is sheer useless grumbling.

The option to change APN settings is available with my business iPhone 5 carrier locked with T-Mobile since it is obviously required with T-Mobile and likely the same for an iPhone sold as unlocked when new.

Mar 14, 2014 6:53 PM in response to Allan Sampson

First, he never said in any of his posts that the phone was carrier locked or unlocked. Second, I never said that Apple was going to fail ... that was your assumption derived from what I wrote (in fact I said "I don't think Apple was seeking to create an inflexible device when they created the iPhone"), that's just kind of what's happening in this case. Third, you're right, this is a user help forum, moderated by Apple, so if someone doesn't say "hey, this is a problem, something is not working the way it should" then Apple may never get the message. Fourth, again this is a user help forum, and there is nothing you can do to solve the problem because it was a problem created by the iOS 7.1 update, and the only people who can fix the problem is Apple. Finally it's great that you have the ability to change your APN settings on your locked T-Mobile phone, T-Mobile is not available in my area, and I do own a factory unlocked iPhone 5C purchased from Apple, and with my AT&T based MVNO SIM installed I cannot access the APN settings without a SIM swap, a method that became broken with iOS 7.1 because iOS 7.1 keeps overriding the settings (which is likely part of the problem in question).

By the way ... That whole buddy-boy statement, you remind me of the character Kent from the movie Real Genius.

Mar 14, 2014 7:14 PM in response to chisco2000

Ok ... so let me get this out of the way. Is this iPhone 4S a phone that was purchased from AT&T or was it purchased factory unlocked from Apple? Did you configure the MMS using the SIM Swapping trick, or did Straight Talk have it properly encoded on their SIM, or did they configure it for you by having you download a file, or has it never worked properly?

Mar 15, 2014 7:13 AM in response to Maverick110

Second, I never said that Apple was going to fail ... that was your assumption derived from what I wrote

Not an assumption.

A device that ceases to be flexible and extensible will eventually suffer a slow and horrific death.

Fourth, again this is a user help forum, and there is nothing you can do to solve the problem because it was a problem created by the iOS 7.1 update, and the only people who can fix the problem is Apple.

From....

If all you are willing to do is grumble about people trying to save a little money, and not help solve the problem

Too funny.

Mar 15, 2014 8:32 AM in response to Allan Sampson

I don't have much time on my hands, and little patience to argue with you.

There is no user solution. I did the research (which apparently you didn't) iOS 7.1 and version 16 of the carrier settings file is what caused the problem. This means Apple (as an entity) is the one that will have to solve the problem.

I'm not going to waste my time arguing semantics, or points. Doing that with you would just be a waste of time. I don't post stuff on forums to earn points. It was just something I was interested in that I had a little knowledge about.

As for you ... you are the funny one. You made an assumption that his phone was carrier locked, then proceeded to berate his choice in a carrier, didn't do any research to solve the problem, and when I pointed out the problem you decided to get into an argument with me (after I identified the problem).

People like you are the reason I hate posting to forums. Grumble about this post all you want because I will not reply to you. I have much better things to do to occupy my time and thoughts.

One final thought - for you on T-Mobile your phone might be adaptable and changeable, For those of us on an AT&T MVNO the iPhone is a very inflexible device. Sure we can install all the apps we want, but the ever simple concept of MMS messaging is currently out of reach.

Have a good day Mr. Sampson, May we not darken each others virtual doorsteps again.

Mar 15, 2014 9:36 AM in response to Maverick110

Reading comprehension deficient - try following along.

This is what you provided in one of your posts.

If all you are willing to do is grumble about people trying to save a little money,and not help solve the problem

I was doing more than that and followed it by stating this is a user to user help forum only so the problem cannot be resolved by anyone here.

You followed with this revelation.

Fourth, again this is a user help forum, and there is nothing you can do to solve the problem because it was a problem created by the iOS 7.1 update, and the only people who can fix the problem is Apple.

Sure we can install all the apps we want, but the ever simple concept of MMS messaging is currently out of reach.

Once again, the OP has no problem sending MMS so sending isn't out of reach for him or her and isn't a problem for the vast overwhelming majority of iPhone users that don't choose a carrier that provides up front - "we can't assure that everything will work well when it comes to "bring your own phone", and with MMS that runs off a proxy. Providing we can't assure everything will work well when is comes to "bring your own phone" is not for the iPhone only.

People like you that state they don't have time on their hands but find the time anyway along with I won't reply are a funny bunch.

Mar 15, 2014 2:26 PM in response to Allan Sampson

Hello Friends, I thank you for your concerns but please can we end this fight and see what we can do to help with the current situation? Attacking each can in no way lead us anywhere. What will make this place worth coming or visiting is when we can help each other with their individual phone problems and NOT attacking one another. That having been said, I still need help with receiving picture message. I can send picture message but cannot receive. Is there anything apple can do about it or is the problem from Straight talk? I need solutions please if you do have any. Thanks!

I updated my iphone 4s to ios7.1 and now can no longer receive picture messages: What I can I do to make it work?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.