Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I partition a new HD to include Recovery?

I have a MacBook Pro (Early 2008).

I upgraded the internal HD to a new 1TB drive. Works great.

The HD was totally blank.

I have a double-layer DVD built from the Mavericks install image. It works great (although it's slow).

I installed Mavericks, by booting from the DVD and following instructions.

The first time, it didn't find a drive to install on. I thought Mavericks was capable of detecting the blank HD and automatically installing on there, setting up all partitions as necessary? Strange that it didn't do this.

Anyway, I ran Disk Utility from the menu. It successfully found my 1TB drive. I partitioned it, creating 1 partition, of type "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)".

As we know by now, this was a mistake. I should have created 2 partitions: one for Recovery and another to hold the full installation. I got a successful Mavericks installation, which worked. However, no recovery partition, which means no Find My Mac, not acceptable.

So, time to try it again. I have these 4 questions:

1) What size to create for the recovery partition? I heard 1GB. Is this correct?

2) Should the recovery partition come BEFORE, or AFTER, the main partition? I've heard both ways, not sure which is correct. Does it matter?

3) What partition type? Is the recovery partition also "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)", or is it something else?

4) Do I need to do anything special in order to tell the Mavericks installer where to find my recovery partition, or will it find it automatically, since it's on the same HD as the main partition that I'm trying to install into?

Thanks!

Josh

Posted on Mar 13, 2014 4:11 PM

11 replies

Mar 13, 2014 9:11 PM in response to Krellan

Josh,

are you absolutely sure that a recovery partition was not created? When I first received my SSD, I formatted it with a single “Mac OS Extended (Journaled)” partition, and once Mavericks was installed on it, the recovery partition was also created, its space carved out of the single partition. If you open Terminal, and give it the following command, what output does it return?

diskutil list

Mar 14, 2014 12:35 AM in response to Melophage

Doing "diskutil list" only showed 3 lines, containing 2 partitions. The first line was the overall drive, the second line was the reserved EFI partition, then the third line was my Mavericks installation. There wasn't a recovery partition: from what I've seen online, it's supposed to have another line containing that, but it wasn't there, in my case.

I'm reinstalling now, trying to add it manually.

Mar 14, 2014 2:09 AM in response to Krellan

Rats. Unfortunately, even after creating a 1 GB partition, the Mavericks installer still didn't see it. It only let me click on the drive for the main install. After it finished, I have a useless small partition, that it's trying to mount under /Volumes as if it was another drive. Obviously, I haven't found a way to "bless" that partition and turn it into an official Recovery partition. Why didn't the Mavericks installer do this automatically during the installation process? Other than that, it seemed to work perfectly.

How do you get it to correctly partition a blank drive automatically, so that it will create the Recovery partition like it's supposed to? I don't understand why it worked for others automatically but not for me.

Josh

Mar 14, 2014 1:14 PM in response to Krellan

Wow, so it's a feature that Apple quietly removed? 10.7 and 10.8 could create a full recovery partition from scratch, on a blank HD, but 10.9 can only update what already exists, and not create new?

Makes sense, in a way, because Apple is trying to migrate people over to using "Internet Recovery" instead of including a real recovery partition on their HD. So, why would Apple continue to make "Find My Mac" dependent on the existence of a full recovery partition, though?

I also found that webpage. I'm glad that tool exists. I will try that next. Wow, since that tool seems to be the only way in the world of creating a recovery partition on a new hard drive, that webpage, and the linked files on Dropbox, now becomes of critical importance! It's a shame that Apple wouldn't just do this automatically when installing Mavericks.

http://musings.silvertooth.us/2013/10/recovery-partition-creator-3-7-updated-for -mavericks/

Josh

Mar 14, 2014 1:41 PM in response to Krellan

Since you have Mavericks, why don't you DL the installer from the App Store and use it to make a Mavericks USB installer?

Seems like this issue is because you're using a DVD, or does it have to do with the age of your system? I've been clean installing on various machines with a USB installer and all have a recovery partition.

Mar 14, 2014 2:09 PM in response to turbostar

That's the next thing I'm trying now. I have downloaded a fresh copy of the Installer app from the App Store, and will copy that to a USB stick just so I don't have to download it again. On another USB stick, I'll try converting it to a real bootable image. Good news, the same webpage also offers such a tool to do this.

http://musings.silvertooth.us/2013/10/mavericks-bootable-disk-creation-tool/

Apple should really hire this guy and use him to improve the installation experience in Mavericks 🙂

Mar 14, 2014 5:23 PM in response to Krellan

Thanks!

I followed the instructions from that page, downloaded the program, pointed it at my 8GB USB key, and it worked. It was a little flaky, popping up some strange dialog boxes (such as a box that was empty except for the number "1" and OK/Cancel buttons at bottom, I guessed and hit OK).

The USB key became bootable. I booted into it OK. I wanted to erase the entire hard drive completely empty, but the best that Disk Utility allows is to go back to a single partition, so I did that, as you said. GPT type, of course.

The install went normally, taking 25 minutes or so, then it rebooted, but the USB key still was the bootable device! It immediately started over, doing *another* 25 minutes on the progress bar. I had to go to a meeting so just left the computer unattended for an hour or so. When I came back, it seems to have settled down, because it was now at the Mavericks welcome screen! That's good news. I gave it the test, by removing the USB key then rebooting, and it passed.

I did "diskutil list" and was happy to see the recovery partition had been successfully created! Now I can enable "Find My Mac" without errors.

Rough experience, overall, not very Mac-like. I wish Apple would make it easier to do this: they should have had "Create DVD" and "Create USB" buttons right on their installer program, so people could make installation media for doing fresh installs.

How do I partition a new HD to include Recovery?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.