Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes could not connect to this iPhone. You do not have permission.

Just upgraded my iPhone (and iPad mini) to IOS 7.1 using iTunes but now iTunes will NOT recoginize the iphone.(iPad mini works fine)

Itunes 11.1.5 (5) and my MacBook Air is OS X 10.9.2 all the latest versions.

When I connect the iPhone it brings up the popup TRUST box which I click - however in both iTunes and iPhoto I get the error message: "iTunes could not connect to this iPhone. You do not have permission."

I have tried Repair Disk Permissions and rebooted all devices - but alas no success.

Called the Mac Service line (I live in Malaysia) but because I purchased the iPhone in another country they refuse to help grrrrrrrr!

Plugged into a colleagues MacBook and it recognizes the iPhone.

Any suggestions as to how to fix?

iPhone 5, iOS 7.1, iTunes 11.1.5

Posted on Mar 13, 2014 7:05 PM

16 replies

Mar 13, 2014 8:34 PM in response to GregDKiwi

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It’s unlikely to solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

The purpose of the test is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party software that loads automatically at startup or login, by a peripheral device, by a font conflict, or by corruption of the file system or of certain system caches.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards, if applicable. Start up in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem. You must hold down the shift key twice: once when you boot, and again when you log in.

Note: If FileVault is enabled, or if a firmware password is set, or if the boot volume is a Fusion Drive or a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to boot and run than normal, with limited graphics performance, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain models. The next normal boot may also be somewhat slow.

The login screen appears even if you usually login automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, reboot as usual (not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of the test.

Mar 14, 2014 4:24 AM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks Link,

As u suggest a good test but did not resolve the problem.

I took it into the Macshop and they tested both MacBook Air and iPhone - they believe iPhone is OK so they recommend I restore an earlier version off TimeMachine or completely reinstall OS X Maverick......tried the restore alas no betta so will do complete reinstall tonite and hopefully that may work.

Cheers

Mar 14, 2014 6:47 AM in response to GregDKiwi

I'm having this same problem. I'm using an iPhone 4s Macbook Pro 15-inch Mid 2010 Model OS X 10.9.2. This is getting really frustrating. I have wifi sync enabled, but don't know how to turn it off if that helps. I'm getting really tired of all the hassels I've been getting from apple lately. I don't think I'll be buying another Apple product if they continue with this crap.

May 10, 2014 12:49 AM in response to GregDKiwi

OS X stores the device pairing information in /var/db/lockdown directory in form of plists. In my case the problem was that somehow (maybe after OSX update) this directory became write protected and that plist file couldn't be created by XCode.

Figured out by inspecting the logs in console:

10/05/14 09:34:03,716 com.apple.usbmuxd[54]: WriteDataToPath unable to create file /var/db/lockdown//############################.plist.tmp: Permission denied.

Changed the access flags of this directory and this solved the problem:

sudo chmod 777 /var/db/lockdown

May 22, 2014 8:14 PM in response to GregDKiwi

Thanks imihaly,

Followed your instructions

BUT no change - still get the same ERROR each time I plug in the iPhone5

I did solve the problem for a few weeks by doing a complete reinstall of IOS and erasing the HDD - however when I was doing a rebuild of the Mac Mail folders from a Time Machine backup - next sync attempt on the iPhone the error came back grrrrrrrrrrrrr

Im waiting for iPhone6 later this year and will give away this 5

I've given up trying to solve

NB. I had Apple support on the phone for a few days and they tried all sorts of tests and then walked me thru the complete reinstall bit which was good but they don't know either why this particular iPhone can't be recognized by the MBA??????

I do suspect it is as you hint something to do with plists but which one is still a mystery.....

Again thanks for you suggestion

May 27, 2014 5:09 PM in response to imihaly

Hoping this will solve my problem as well as I'm seeing the same error in Console. However, two issues. First, using the sudo command doesn't seem to allow access to write to identifed plist.

When I go into /var/db/lockdown/ specifically, I can't delete the file.

I've tried GetInfo on the plist file, it says that everyone has "Read & Write" access... but clearly we do not. I even tried to add admin to the users, right now it's _usbmuxd and "everyone".

Any tips on how to nuke these?

May 28, 2014 6:54 AM in response to Stephen Barrante

Okay, so I found a terminal command that allowed me to force delete the file. That totally did the trick.

sudo rm -Rf /private/var/db/lockdown/dragyourfilehere.plist

Enter your username and voila!

Reconnected my phone and saw it re-create the file in the lockdown directory. Hit "Trust" on my phone and it loads up in iTunes.

All good...

Oct 20, 2015 2:31 PM in response to imihaly

I have an iPhone 4 with 7.2 on it (the last and and only version left to update to) and I did a restore. After the restore I kept getting that error message, but this fix absolutely solved it. Never would've crossed my mind that permissions on the /var/lockdown folder would be preventing this. Didn't even know it existed!!

> sudo chmod 777 /var/db/lockdown

iTunes could not connect to this iPhone. You do not have permission.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.