Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fiber Optic Internet / Airport Issues / DHCP / FIBER OPTIC CONNECTION INTERFERING WITH INTERNAL NETWORKS

Hi All,

This is not a question but rather a solution to the issue of FIBER OPTIC CONNECTION INTERFERING WITH INTERNAL NETWORKS.

I spent some 3 weeks tearing my hair out over an Airport issue with my Kyocera FS-C8025 MFP (advanced networking printer) which would not hold a static ip, and the Airport would not hold a constant IP range or create one due to the Fiber optic DHCP allocation bleeding through the network and self allocating / interfering with the Airports ability to provide a range of IP Addresses.

I had a similar issue at home with a fiber connection where I am allowed only 3 devices but have a time capsule, 4 airports, 2 ipads, xbox, 3 laptops and multiple phones, and this resolved that issue as well.

(the tech I spoke with said he could see the names of each of my devices etc, however with this fix it shows one single connection - and does not randomly require a full hard reset of all routers sporadically, which, secreted with speakers inside couches etc is not the easiest task.)

There is a very simple solution. It has 3 steps and solved all issues completely;

1. FIND THE OLDEST ROUTER YOU HAVE. (I have used an old Netcomm NB5540 )

2. CONNECT THE FIBRE CAT CABLE INTO THE WAN PORT OF THE OLD ROUTER

3. CONNECT THE AIRPORT / TIME CAPSULE / AIRPORT EXPRESS INTO THE NUMBER 1 PORT OF THE OLD ROUTER

Thats it.

You can now setup the airport as per normal, the old router prevents the advanced systems the fiber tries to pass on from reaching the airport, you recieve internet and can create any ip range you like, and devices do not constantly generate errors, drop out or otherwise fault.

NOTE: dont forget to reset the old router as it probably has the same settings as your current network if it is being replaced by the new router, this is vital if you do not have a CAT port on your laptop as you will douple up on the Wireless Network router address with the new system and it will talke several convoluted steps to fix, better to unplug / turn off the airport etc, and the connect to your old wireless the old router is providing, reset it and make the range 192.168.2.xxx or something other than the range you want to remove conflicts (assuming you use the default 192.168.1.xxxx on the airport)

Hopefully this saves you a lot of time.

b

Posted on Mar 13, 2014 6:25 PM

2 replies

Mar 13, 2014 7:13 PM in response to bryce_1

A couple of warnings..

The speed of the internet will be greatly reduced.. the old router you mentioned NB5540 would be lucky to manage a WAN to LAN speed of 20Mbps and is probably more like 10Mbps.. that is very ancient and old style for the days of adsl1.

You are setting up double NAT.. which has major issues with some things.. it might browse ok but eventually you will hit things that don't work.

I would buy a new type router with speed WAN to LAN well in excess (x3-x5) of your fibre speed..

See http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/router-charts/bar/74-wan-to-lan

Mar 13, 2014 7:33 PM in response to LaPastenague

Thanks for the advice,

We only get 20mbs if we are lucky - fibre here isnt proper fibre anyway so its worked fine, interestingly the Double NAT was the issue before, the airport does not display it now and we have had no problems in 6 mths of use with multiple devices, aple tv's printers, transient laptops etc.

If the fiber ever improves I will definately upgrade it,Im lucky to get 2mb/s on a normal day..

Cheers,

Fiber Optic Internet / Airport Issues / DHCP / FIBER OPTIC CONNECTION INTERFERING WITH INTERNAL NETWORKS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.