Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod Touch (4th Gen) iOS 6.1.6 iMessage & Facetime won't verify email

I recently updated my iPod 4th generation to iOS 6.1.6 to ensure its not vulnerable to the security flaws in earlier versions.

Now however, when I try to reactivate iMessaging and Facetime on the device, I am unable to get it to go past the verify email address step. Here's the basic steps:

1. Settings

2. iMessage (or Facetime)

3. Enter Apple ID - I enter my email and password for the master account.

4. Sign In - Signing In dialog displays.

5. It shows the phone numbers and email addresses associated with my ID. I remove checkmarks from all but the email address for this device.

6. Hit "Next". -- At this point, the "Verifying..." message displays for about 15-20 seconds, and then it returns to the iMessage sign in screen in step 2.

I have tried deleting the email address from my account and reverifying it.

I setup a brand new email address and iTunes account and tried activating it using that profile.

I went back to the original profile and tried to activate again as I did the first time.

Nothing is working. Facetime and iMessage worked fine on this device with the exact same setup before my upgrade. What am I missing? The App Store / iCloud, music, applications, etc. all seem to work fine. Just Facetime and iMessage broken. Appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks.

iPod touch (4th generation), iOS 6.1.6

Posted on Mar 13, 2014 7:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply
2 replies

Mar 14, 2014 4:31 AM in response to lllaass

Thanks lllaass. I had gone through the forums in detail before, and had gone through what I thought was all the troubleshooting steps.

However, this article, https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5928442?answerId=25026662022#25026662022 helped solve my problem.

Somehow, my iPod touch had the time zone changed from Automatic and was set manually to the correct time but with the time zone set to Pacific. I changed it back to Eastern, and reset the clock back to what it was supposed to be, and was able to solve my issue.

iPod Touch (4th Gen) iOS 6.1.6 iMessage & Facetime won't verify email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.