Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HDV - 1080p24 preset missing from FCP 5

I am using FCP 5.0.4 (yes, I know, very old, but I don't have the money to upgrade). I am trying to capture HD video from the Cannon XHA1 camera, shot at 24F, but there is no HDV - 1080p24 capture set up listed in either the easy setup or the capture presets in the audio/video settings window. According to the manual for FCP 5 it should be there. Am I missing something? Do I need an update or a plugin?

I can't use the other presets without errors or other problems. This should be the right preset but it's just not there. Can anyone help, please?

Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Mar 13, 2014 11:16 PM

8 replies

Mar 14, 2014 1:23 AM in response to Shane Ross

Thanks for a quick reply.

This FCP 5 manual has HDV - 1080p24 listed as one of the easy setups on page 12: http://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/0/MA93/en_US/FCP5_HD_and_Broadcast_Formats .pdf

Is this only an option when that specific camera is hooked up? That's definitely unusual. I've read through a lot of forums and I was under the impression you described -- that fcp did not support 24p until fcp 6 -- until I read that section in the manual and I started to wonder if I am missing a crucial update.

If I use Apple Intermediate Codec, I get no time code, I can't log clips or batch capture, and the footage is too fast, probably due to this codec preset using 29.97 fps instead of 24. From the other discussions, it sounds like the time code issue with Apple Intermediate Codec is an inevitable side effect of XHA1’s incompatibility with fcp 5. But regarding the frame rate issue, what's the best resolution? Should I use Cinema Tools to convert? I want to avoid sketchy solutions like changing the speed of the clip.

Thanks.

Mar 14, 2014 12:27 PM in response to Shane Ross

Deleting my preferences didn't help, unfortunately. I did find the folder for the Final Cut Pro Easy Setups and the HDV - 1080p24 file was not in there. After further searching, I think this post confirms my suspicion that 5.0 did not include the presets needed to handle 24p, but this came out in 5.1.2: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/archive/index.php/t-82568.html

I think this explains why many are saying FCP didn't do 24p until FCP 6, and yet it's in the manual for FCP 5. I guess they held the feature back in the release of 5.0 for further QA and released it later as an update.

There are a lot of people looking for this update because it's not supported by Apple anymore. Anyone have a copy of the update?

Mar 14, 2014 12:32 PM in response to AstronautBarbie

Ah...it is most likely in the manual for 5 as there was a 5, and then the 5.1 Universal version. That version was free to owners of 5.0...we just mailed in our disks and got 5.1 disks. That version worked on PowerPC and Intel macs, and had a few upgrades to it. I bet the manual that's out there is only for 5.1.

It isn't a downloadable update...it was something you had to buy, or send in your disks to get new ones. Sorry man.

HDV - 1080p24 preset missing from FCP 5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.