Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does ibooks author automatically resize all images of a gallery?

The point here is, I have more than one graphic files (not pictures taken by a camera) to put into one gallery widget of an iBooks Author document. Unfortunately, not all figures have the same height/width aspect ratio. If I put them together in the gallery, some of them have cropped widths others have cropped heights. Impossible to losslessly fit all into the same gallery. If I scale alle figures to the same width, the result is acceptable for the figure with the highest heigth, all other figures are cropped again.

Well in a first time, I was not that much concerned, but the iBooks Author Quality check refused to publish such eBooks, where some picutes appear cropped in the small view (not in the full-screen view).

Now, why is the iBA software automatically sizing all images of a gallery w.r.t. the center of an image? It would be of much more help, to leave some white background boarders on images of un-equal height, as long as the width of all images is exactly the same. The crop-pan function would then be useful to individually place a smaller-than-the-rest image in that frame of its larger precedecor image.

Can this autosize function be turned off? Am I really forced to paste smaller images into a white image of the maximum height/width of the galery's largest image?

Posted on Mar 14, 2014 12:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 18, 2014 4:53 PM

Did you consider making all the images used in this particular gallery... the same size?

The widget is resizable and in doing so also adjust the images within by scale ie the widget and its content look the same whatever size you decide for the gallery. Have you used the mask function?

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 18, 2014 4:53 PM in response to L18

Did you consider making all the images used in this particular gallery... the same size?

The widget is resizable and in doing so also adjust the images within by scale ie the widget and its content look the same whatever size you decide for the gallery. Have you used the mask function?

Mar 19, 2014 12:31 AM in response to vinnyvg

I did consider all the images the same size - i am sorry for the useless space of memory and for my extra work passing all figures through a graphic processor, it looks like non-creative work.

The masking and resizing does not help here because the original figures do not have unused margins.

My wish to the Apple developper team: add a static gallery dimension, relative to its containing pictures e.g. I have three pictures of identical width, but of heigths of 100, 150, 120 pixels; then the default autosize gallery height would have 150 pixels, which fully shows the tallest figure and the two other figures can be moved up/down within that gallery frame.

Feb 10, 2015 10:45 AM in response to L18

If you have differently shaped (height/width) images that you want to place in one gallery....

The first image you place will determine the shape (max height and width) of your gallery mask, so choose it wisely.

Before you add each image to the gallery go to photoshop and:

1. Size the IMAGE to be at the max height OR width of your gallery mask -- do this if you want at least one dimension (height or width) to fit all the way across or up and down in the gallery mask.

2. Size the CANVAS to the same height and width of your first image (the size of your gallery mask).

I hope this makes sense and is helpful. Yes, it's ridiculous, but it's the only way I found to make images of different dimensions fit in a gallery.

Why does ibooks author automatically resize all images of a gallery?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.