Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transferring the values from a known range of cells (containing formulas) in Excel using Applescript

I have my AppleScript iterating thru email messages and pasting data (which arrives via email from a web form) into following cells: range "A1:A50"

My Excel parsing of data occurs in cell formulas on Row 52, cells in range "A52:AZ52"

I want to copy the cells in row 52 and paste the Values (not the formulas) in successive rows underneath the formula cells, starting with row 54: range "A54:AZ54"

In pseudo code the code snip is:

tell worksheet "sheet1" of workbook "Example" application "Microsoft Excel"

repeat i from 1 thru to (count emails)

paste some of the contents of (email item i) into sheet range "A1:A50"

# the above forms about twenty lines of code to get it
into Excel's cell object list or lists

copy or get row 52 # or range "A52:AZ52" if that's easier/faster/better

paste or set the values of row 52 into row (53+i)

end repeat

end tell

Not sure whether to use the clipboard with "paste speical…[range] with []" or copy and set value statements. I only know how to reference existing ranges, not the cell contents of the range. I really need to know how to get contents of cells into a AppleScript object (list) that I can transfer. The 2004 Excel AS documentation is not helping me, please throw me a life line someone. :-)

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5), Wacom tablet, Dell 27" U2713HM,

Posted on Mar 13, 2014 11:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 14, 2014 7:59 AM

Hi

Use value , like this

tell application "Microsoft Excel"
          set tValues to value of range "A52:AZ52"
          set value of range "A54:AZ54" to tValues
end tell
2 replies

Mar 14, 2014 5:46 PM in response to Jacques Rioux

One other question if I may hijack my thread, if I wanted to set the column of the range programatically how would I do that?

I know how to programatically set the row eg.

set x to 54

set r to range "A" & x & ":AZ" & x

set tVlaue to value of r

But I need something like Column (x) to make one of {"A","B","C",…}

but column(2) gives me $B:B$

and: "column(2) as text" (so I can halve it) beachballs Script Debugger and Excel and I have to stop the script and restart Excel!

Transferring the values from a known range of cells (containing formulas) in Excel using Applescript

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.