Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Since FAA has removed some of the personal device restrictions, will GPS be enabled for airplane mode? This would be helpful for travel outside the country !

I travel and have a business phone but like using my iDevices for photos, gps etc. it would be great to keep it on airplane mode while off shore to avoid roaming charges, but even the off-line maps are defeated without GPS functioning. I suspect the GPS turned off with airplane mode due to FAA restrictions. I would like to see that revised now that FAA allows non-emitting personal devices in flight.

Posted on Mar 13, 2014 11:10 PM

5 replies

Mar 23, 2014 10:15 AM in response to yetanotheriPhone

I am actually hoping that Apple will read this and fix the problem, or someone can give a workarround. I'm not sure if it's apple or ATT stopping that functionality now. In the near future I see no reason they won't unlock that feature set since FAA now allows passive devices. (Yes, by the way, GPS is a passive receiver based system which does not emit anything, so there is no reason to block it.)

Since FAA has removed some of the personal device restrictions, will GPS be enabled for airplane mode? This would be helpful for travel outside the country !

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.