Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Text Edit curly apostrophes ruining HTML

I have Text Edit set to plain text in Preferences, but it is producing curly apostrophes which is screwing up my HTML coding.

This never happened before I upgraded to Mavericks.

Question 1: How can I stop Text Edit producing curly apostrophes even in Plain Text so I can code properly?

Question 2: What was the default Text Edit plain text font prior to Mavericks?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.1), No

Posted on Mar 14, 2014 1:40 AM

8 replies

Mar 14, 2014 10:55 PM in response to Niel

Thank you so much Niel. This appears to solve the issue. I'm very grateful to you.

What is disheartening is having to seek an answer on a forum on how to restore basic functionality after a software update! If a user has selected Plain Text as the default, how stupid that Smart Quotes are still implemented! This is far from being the only instance of Mavericks annoyances. There are several examples where changes have been implemented without considering users previous habits or allowing them to at least select the change as an option or alert them to it. It's the first Apple software version where I've felt some things haven't been thought through. More user empathy in the UI dept is needed!

Can anyone answer my second question: what was the original default plain text font in Text Edit?

Thank you.

Mar 14, 2014 10:57 PM in response to Niel

Thank you so much Niel. This appears to solve the issue. I'm very grateful to you.

What is disheartening is having to seek an answer on a forum on how to restore basic functionality after a software update! If a user has selected Plain Text as the default, how stupid that Smart Quotes are still implemented! This is far from being the only instance of Mavericks annoyances. There are several examples where changes have been implemented without considering users previous habits or allowing them to at least select the change as an option or alert them to it. It's the first Apple software version where I've felt some things haven't been thought through. More user empathy in the UI dept is needed!

Can anyone answer my second question: what was the original default plain text font in Text Edit?

Thank you.

Mar 14, 2014 10:59 PM in response to Niel

Thank you.

Text Edit curly apostrophes ruining HTML

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.