Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air boots with black screen and cursor

MacBook Air will not boot up past black screen and cursor

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Mar 14, 2014 5:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2014 6:11 AM

I had the same issue with my 2008 iMac and Apple support walked me through the fix yesterday...

1. Shut the computer down by holding the power button for 10 seconds

2. Restart the computer and press shift at the same time until you see the progress bar start moving

3. Once you reach the point where your screen goes dark and you see the cursor, type the first letter of the username for your computer, then hit Enter, then type your password, then hit Enter.

4. After a moment, you should see the spinning beach ball

5. Your screen should then move on to something along the lines of "Completing OSX Installation" (I can't remember the exact wording). Let it finish. After that it should go to your normal desktop and the issue should be fixed. (If your screen goes pitch black during this process, hit the space bar. I thought it wasn't working, but the screen was just sleeping).

Apparently it's an issue with an automatic update that never quite got past the login screen.

Hope this helps!

47 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 17, 2014 6:11 AM in response to frazerandmac

I had the same issue with my 2008 iMac and Apple support walked me through the fix yesterday...

2. Restart the computer and press shift at the same time until you see the progress bar start moving

3. Once you reach the point where your screen goes dark and you see the cursor, type the first letter of the username for your computer, then hit Enter, then type your password, then hit Enter.

5. Your screen should then move on to something along the lines of "Completing OSX Installation" (I can't remember the exact wording). Let it finish. After that it should go to your normal desktop and the issue should be fixed. (If your screen goes pitch black during this process, hit the space bar. I thought it wasn't working, but the screen was just sleeping).

Apparently it's an issue with an automatic update that never quite got past the login screen.

Hope this helps!

Mar 15, 2014 11:59 AM in response to frazerandmac

I've had this too - too me a week to get a fix. Here's what i did:

Press command R as it starts up and keep holding until disk ultility starts

Goto disk utility and erase macintosh HD

go back to the menu and selectinstall Mavericks OSX

and that fixed it for me. I had all my data backed up with time machine so once it restarted i got everything reloaded. If you havent got your files backed up then you might lose them...

Just installing Mavericks without erasing didnt work for me and i tried it a couple of times

good luck!

Jun 14, 2014 5:34 AM in response to frazerandmac

This worked for me too! Thank god! 🙂 Nothing lost!

MacBook Air boots with black screen and cursor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.