Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Quantum HD from PB read-only?

I've searched but cannot find, so here goes. I have a Quantum Daytona 127 Mb disk from a working Powerbook. I have installed it in an external USB enclosure so I can connect to my MacMini and extract a few old files. I also thought to take the opportunity to transfer a bit more legacy software, already downloaded on to my Mini, down to the Quantum HD. However, it won't accept Writes and GetInfo shows it as Read-Only. Oddly, Disk Utility sees it correctly, will identify it as HFS, and identifies it as Read-Write! The only operation Disk utilities will carry out is verify, and it verifies fine, but it won't let me change permissions, which I guess is what I need. I'd like to solve this before I attempt the awful job of putting it back in its case. I already tried changing the jumper between Master & Slave, not that I thought I needed it, but just in case. Any ideas please?

PowerBook, Mac OS 8.6 or Earlier

Posted on Mar 14, 2014 7:03 AM

3 replies

Mar 17, 2014 2:20 AM in response to Jan Hedlund

Jan,

I was using the latest Mavericks, so thanks a million for sorting that out! Luckily I still have a G5 iMac with 10.4 and that seems to see the Quantum as both read & write. I've now tried copying but copying to this disk is very unreliable - I managed to copy two small files but larger one (>100k) don't seem to want to go so the Copying progress bar shows no progress and it seems to keep trying forever. Using Disk Utility on the Quantum gives an error, which it repairs apparently successfuly, but the same error the appears again. Sorry for more of your time but any ideas on this latest snag?

Mar 17, 2014 2:54 AM in response to small crow

Hello,

There is always a risk connected with an attempt to write from a modern operating system to a disk holding an old system version. Also, do not try to repair the file system with a utility for a modern Mac. It would be better to find another solution.

You mentioned that the hard drive came from a working PowerBook. Since it is a small IDE/ATA drive, that could mean a PowerBook 150 (or possibly a PB 190/5300 with a replaced smaller drive size). Would that be true? If you post back we may be able to find an alternative way of handling file transfers.

Do you have access to any other older (pre-1998) Macintosh computers with a built-in floppy drive? Do you have access to a Windows PC with a floppy drive?

Jan

Quantum HD from PB read-only?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.