Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't backup to iCloud because it's full, bought more iCloud storage but it isn't showing up.

I just bought a new iphone it's saying that it can't back up to icloud because theres not enough icloud storage. I bought more icloud storage but it isn't showing up. is there a waiting period or did i do something wrong?

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.0.3

Posted on Mar 14, 2014 8:27 AM

6 replies

Mar 14, 2014 8:36 AM in response to MissMichelleRoy

If you just bought a new phone, don't you want to restore from backup to add data from your old phone to the new phone?

Purchasing more storage is not always the answer. Understand how iCloud backup works and how to manage what you store.

Open settings

iCloud

Storage and backup

Manage storage

Select the device you are using

Show all apps

Now you can see what is backed up, and what is using the most storage in iCloud. Photo and video are usually on top.

ICloud does not backup the Apps, just the data in the App, if backed up to iCloud. Turn off any app you don't need to have backed up.

Consider removing photo and video to Dropbox or Box for IOS, these are free, online storage apps which can be used on any device to move and store your pictures, video and documents.

Mar 11, 2015 11:14 AM in response to MissMichelleRoy

.... Same here, tired of working for Apple!... Too complicated when you try to find info for our how tos and it leads to pages full of tech jibber I do not understand!....I need a basic geek to help!.... I bought this same scam, about to pay for another months charge, still can't find where the purchased storage went?... Not to mention, the numerous warnings, I HAVE NO STORAGE LEFT, PLEASE PURCHASE MORE ETC!!!.... Does anyone know where, that's where to find this hidden purchase before I lose my jazz???..... Thanks for anyone's prompt knowledgable reply.... (:

Oct 11, 2015 11:06 AM in response to MissMichelleRoy

Apple Support worked me through this. Here are the steps as best I remember:

1) Turn off all running Apps.

2) Go to Settings>iCloud.

3) Sign Out of iCloud. Sign Out is at bottom of the column. I had to scroll down on my iPad Mini to reveal it.

4) You'll get a prompt, "Sign Out of iCloud." Click Sign Out.

5) You MIGHT get a prompt such as "Turn Off Notes." Click Delete.

6) You will get a prompt, "Delete Account." Click "Keep on My iPad." The machine will do a safe save (which means it will make sure all apps are properly closed, even if you can't see them running).

7) Enter your Apple ID Password. Click "Turn Off". Wait while the iPad saves.

8) Close the Settings app.

9) Power down the iPad.

10) Restart the iPad, then unlock the screen.

11) Go to Settings>iCloud. Sign in with your Apple ID on the top line (where it says "example@icloud.com") and password (where it says "Required") Tap "Sign in"

12) You'll get a prompt, "Merge with iCloud" Click "Merge". I got another prompt, "Find My iPad Enabled." Click "OK"

13) Settings>iCloud>Storage should show your available storage. Mine went up to 50GB. (It finally recognized the additional storage I bought.)

14) To run an immediate Backup, go down the iCloud screen's menu to "Backup." Tap it and you'll go to a screen where you can click on "Back Up Now." Or, you can just wait until an automatic backup runs when Backup is on, the machine is plugged in to a power source and the machine is locked.

NOTE: I did an immediate backup and it took MUCH more than the "estimated time" of 5 minutes, but this was the first successful backup I'd run in a long while.

If all of this doesn't work, you may have to Chat with Apple Support. Kevin McReynolds, the Apple Senior Adviser who helped me, said he did one additional step (not seen by me) from his desktop. But I believe the steps above will work without an Apple operator's intervention.

can't backup to iCloud because it's full, bought more iCloud storage but it isn't showing up.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.