Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mavericks Server: Poor File Sharing performance.

Hello.

Over the past week I've been running a series of tests on a new Mavericks Server, focusing on File Sharing performance and I'm getting horrible results. Here are my testing details:

- dedicated gigabit internal network (gigabit managed switched, gigabit router, gigabit ethernet cables, etc., all dedicated for this testing)

- Test server #1 (Maverick Server 10.9.2 on a 2009 Xserve, 24 GB RAM, bonded ethernet, AFP Share Point on a dedicated Data Drive [bay 3 of Xserve])

- Test server #2 (Leopard Server 10.5.8 on a 2008 Xserve, 10 GB RAM, bonded ethernet, AFP Share Point on a RAID-1 Data Drive [external FireWire 800 RAID-1 enclosure])

- Test client #1 (Mavericks 10.9.2 on 2011 Mac mini, 16 GB RAM, SSD HD)

- Test client #2 (Mountain Lion 10.8.5 on 2009 iMac, 8 GB RAM, eSATA HD)

All machines are connected to the managed, gigabit switch via individual gigabit ethernet cables, etc. I've swaped out cables, etc. to rule out "bad cables", etc.. The Leopard Server Xserve was set up years ago (in 2008) and is a clone of a current production Xserve (running many things, including DNS, Open Directory, File Sharing, SMB, Web services, Software Update services, RADIUS, NetBoot, etc.). The Mavericks Server is a clean install on the 2009 Xserve, with only DNS, Open Directory (Master) and File Sharing (single AFP). I've re-built the Mavericks Server a number of times now in the hopes that I'd "messed something up" in the setup. I've also run the same tests on the Mavericks Server using an external 6G eSATA drive (connected via a PCIe dedicated eSATA hardware controller).

The first thing I did was test all drives on the local machines themselves to record drive performance on the individual machines (and everything was as expected—eSATA drive on 2009 Xserve via hardware controller were 200+ MB/s read/writes, regular eSATA drives on both Xserves were ~100 MB/s, SSD was ~400 MB/s read/writes, etc.—did mutiple tests using various software (AJA, BackMagic, QuickBench, manually copying a 10GB DMG and timing it, manually copy a 30GB directory of random files [videos, office docs, JPGs, text files, HTML fies, InDesign files, etc.) and everything was "normal".

Then, I ran the same tests, but over the network—my results are, on average, as follow:

1. AFP mount (via RAID-1 drive) on the Leopard Server from both clients

Average results: READ = 100 MB/s; WRITE 70 MB/s

2. AFP mount (via eSATA drive/PCIe hardware controller) on Mavericks Server from both clients

Average results: READ = 45 MB/s; WRITE 100 MB/s

3. AFP mount (via internal eSATA drive) on Mavericks Server from both clients

Average results: READ = 45 MB/s; WRITE 100 MB/s

I have been running these tests for the past 2 days—I've tried everything I can think of, rebuilt things, swapped out cables, HDs, etc. and the results above are pretty much the same every time—READ speeds from Mavericks Server are just super slow. It's not a network issue because the network itself has no issue maintaining 100 MB/s speeds (which is pretty much the average ceiling on my gigabit network, when taking into account the AFP overhead, etc.). Mavericks just peaks out on the READ speeds at less than 50 MB/s. On a small/short file transfer (less than 1GB), it'll hit the 100 MB/s, but if the transfer last more than 30 seconds, it quickly drops down to under 50 MB/s.

At this point, I've tried everything I can think of (except re-installing Mountain Lion on the server) and I'm pulling my hair out.

Really hoping I've overlooked something or am doing something wrong (though, I've run these same sorta tests over the years on our servers and they've always been pretty consistent/accurate). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kristin.

Posted on Mar 14, 2014 8:08 AM

10 replies

Mar 14, 2014 12:50 PM in response to kristin.

I also wanted to update that, since I'm running all my tests in a testing environment, I was able to quickly install Mountain Lion Server on the same Xserve, set up exactly the same as Mavericks Server was set up, and the File Sharing issues I was seeing in Mavericks Server do not exist in Mount Lion Server. With Mountain Lion Server, I'm getting consistent, sustained speeds of 100 MB/s read/write (where as, in Mavericks, I was only getting 45 MB/s reads).

Mar 19, 2014 8:24 AM in response to kristin.

Since upgrading to 10.9 and Server 3.0 this past winter our labs have been in terrible shape. Our server is running on a new Mac mini with 16gb of RAM running Open Directory with AFP network home based folders for our users and all clients are new Mac minis. Everything runs incredilby slow. Logins take forever, once logged in file transfers and using any applications moves just as slow. I have not watched to see what read/write speeds are but I am sure we are in the same boat. I can't believe this hasn't been addressed yet. So many glitchy features as well, for example whenever Computers are entered into the computer list in Workgroup it breaks logins for everyone and the server has to be recreated to fix it.

I have talked to Apple and it is recommended that we go with accounts that have local logins and only use the server to authenticate to OD. This, of course, will not fix our issue of slow transfer speeds when reading or writing to network shares.

Hope they fix this soon!

Mar 19, 2014 8:32 AM in response to craphi

Yea, I was hoping the 3.1 update would fix the issue, but it didn't. I have, though, opened a bug report with Apple and right now it's a lot of testing and providing various reports, etc. Hopefully it will be fixed. I honestly can't believe that Mavericks Server is in such bad shape and that something so core as File Sharing can be so broken. Right now, I've reverted back to Moutain Lion Server (as I've now set up the Xserve to dual-boot both OSs—ML for production use, Mavericks for "experimental/testing") and everything works (that I need) in the older version, so I'll stick with that for now.

k.

Jun 26, 2014 6:27 AM in response to Patrick Spaan

No resolution as of yet. I've been working with Apple directly, and I've now narrowed the issue down to "older hardware" (AFP performance, for me, worked fine with a brand new Mac mini server, but with the exact same OS installation (just imaged from one machine to another), older hardware (Mac Pros, Xserves, etc.) continue to fail.

Just as an FYI—I've given up on testing under Mavericks, and am now trying to get this issue resolved under Yosemite Server (as the issue continues under 10.10). So I'd say, at this point, Mavericks Server is a write-off and I'm hoping that Apple can nail down this issue (based on the plethora of data they've had me provide them with over the last four months) before the final release of 10.10 Server (otherwise, I'll continue stuck at 10.8 Server).

Sorry I don't have more "positive" news.

k.

Aug 16, 2014 11:57 AM in response to ndsvfx

This article exposes some interesting issues:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/06/11/apple-shifts-from-afp-file-sharing-to- smb2-in-os-x-109-mavericks

It also adds a question --¿are you using large MTU support throughout your Gigabit network? Including the Ethernet ports on the Server computer itself?

If not, the large frames from SMB2 on the Server will need to be re-blocked along the way, which will add delays.

Mar 2, 2015 9:18 AM in response to kristin.

i'll throw in my info. we just updated to 10.9 in order to stay compatible with some packages.

we have the last generation aluminum mac pro tower with bonded nics and iscsi connection.

afp - 8/16 w/r (10.8 speeds were roughly 2x this)

smb - 16/24

scp - 24/35

i was wondering if it was jumbo frames issue until i got much better speeds by command line.

it seems to me the afp service is just bogged, or has bad configuration?

there are no errors in system or afp logs.

Mavericks Server: Poor File Sharing performance.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.