Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

e-mail addresses appear in my contacts, how to stop that

Hi,

Everytime I send an e-mail from either my computer ot my iphone 4, that e-mail adress goes into my Contacts. How can I stop it from doing that? Is there a setting I have to cahnge?

Also, Is there any wany to delete some of my contacts, not all, at once? Do I have to do it one by one?

Thanks in advance

iphone 4

Mac Pro

ios 7.1

Posted on Mar 14, 2014 12:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2014 1:58 PM

I had the same problem. And yes they did go into my Contacts. They were shown as new contacts with the contact name being the email address I had used. The number of cards showing in contacts increased by over 100. I am familiar with the previous recipients list in Mail and this was not the issue.

I found that the problem was related to the fact that I was using Exchange. I went into System Preferences, selected Internet Accounts, selected Exchange and unticked the Contacts box. Result - the additional email addresses disappeared from my Contacts.

Hope that helps.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 24, 2014 1:58 PM in response to Adam Berch

I had the same problem. And yes they did go into my Contacts. They were shown as new contacts with the contact name being the email address I had used. The number of cards showing in contacts increased by over 100. I am familiar with the previous recipients list in Mail and this was not the issue.

I found that the problem was related to the fact that I was using Exchange. I went into System Preferences, selected Internet Accounts, selected Exchange and unticked the Contacts box. Result - the additional email addresses disappeared from my Contacts.

Hope that helps.

Nov 4, 2015 9:29 PM in response to Adam Berch

I know this is no longer current but for new victims like me, this IS a problem with Exchange. If you have an Exchange account active go to System Preferences, click Internet Accounts and uncheck Contacts. You'll lose access to contacts associated with that account, but the inconvenience of re-checking it when needed outweighs the hassle of finding 20 or more email addresses littering my Contacts every time I open it.

e-mail addresses appear in my contacts, how to stop that

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.