Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After the upgrade to ios7.1, I'm unable to use personal hotspot. When I click setup it prompts me to contact my carrier to enable

After the upgrade to ios7.1, I'm unable to use personal hotspot. When I click setup it prompts me to contact my carrier to enable.

My gadget is iPhone 4

iPhone 4, iOS 7

Posted on Mar 14, 2014 2:27 PM

13 replies

Mar 16, 2014 6:42 AM in response to Owinoc

Hey Owinoc,

Thanks for the question. I understand that you are experiencing issues with Personal Hotspot since upgrading to iOS 7.1. The following resource may provide a solution:

iOS: Troubleshooting Personal Hotspot

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2756

Basic troubleshooting

1. See if your iOS device, computer, and wireless plan all meet the system requirements for Personal Hotspot.

2. Make sure Personal Hotspot is on: Tap Settings > Cellular > Personal Hotspot.

3. Check the Internet connection on your iOS device: Tap Safari and load a new webpage.

4. If one connection type doesn't work, try another. For example, instead of connecting using Wi-Fi, use USB or Bluetooth.

5. Turn Personal Hotspot off and on: Tap Settings > Personal Hotspot or Settings > Cellular > Personal Hotspot.

6. Install the latest version of iOS.

7. Reset your network settings: Tap Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

8. If you still see the issue, restore the iPhone.

If you're still experiencing issues, try the steps below. […]

Thanks,

Matt M.

Mar 16, 2014 7:23 AM in response to Owinoc

This is obviously a bug many iPhone 4 users have troubles with after upgrading to 7.1

There is a long discussion in this thread:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5983517?tstart=0

I've already tried everything AppleSupport told me to do. Even resetting the phone to factory Setting several times and setting up as a new Phone. I've got a second iPhone 4 with exactely the same problems after upgrading.

so this is neither

- a hardware defect, nor

- a problem with my carrier (who explicetly allows tethering and even provides set-up instructions), nor

- a configuration problem (because the Hotspot function has been working till the upgrade.

Mar 19, 2014 9:47 PM in response to matt00

I am really at a lost at the response rate from Apple Inc. concerning this bug. Is Apple Inc. saying no one in thier establishment has an iPhone 4 to test this complain?

This is really frustrating to update/upgrade and find that PERSONAL HOTSPOT is not working. I have friends who have some of thier apps not working properly.

PLEASE FIX THIS!!!!

Mar 29, 2014 6:21 PM in response to Paa Kojo Konduah Amos

I have same problem and it work with 7.0. Plain and simple IOS 7.1 is costing me money and time. Apple better fix this soon or allow me to go back to 7.0 when it worked. This should not be called Apple Support if Apple does not reply with employees. I can resolve all issues, but this is more than an issue this is system operating problem. Everyday Android is lookikng much better to me and so far Apple seems to not care. If you do not know how to fix it then stop telling people to reset phone just straighten out with Apple people.

thank you,

Mar 29, 2014 8:59 PM in response to rangu54

rangu54 wrote:

This should not be called Apple Support if Apple does not reply with employees.

Did you read the Terms of Use to which you agreed when you signed up?

https://discussions.apple.com/static/apple/tutorial/tou.html

Especially this part:

Apple involvement. Apple may respond to questions but does not formally provide technical support on the Site. Any information that is provided by Apple or Apple employees is offered on an "AS IS" basis without warranties of any kind.

Sep 13, 2014 10:56 AM in response to Owinoc

hi all

it is very simple as this

go to settings > cellular > cellular data network > type APN in all 3 stages...

1. in Cellular DATA

2. in MMS

and

3. in PERSONAL HOT spot

my APN in Mobitel (Sri Lanka) is mobitel3g ...

if you unable to find the APN of your carrier try to get it from the carrier's support... or try using this..

http://www.gsmnation.com/apn/network/calculator/

then go back and see, personal hot spot is active now...

cheers..

After the upgrade to ios7.1, I'm unable to use personal hotspot. When I click setup it prompts me to contact my carrier to enable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.