Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

when importing artwork?

when importing artwork into the get info section of an album why on earth does it take so long for itunes to asign that artwork to the individual songs in that album?

in some cases it takes as long to do that as import the album in the first place.

Posted on Mar 14, 2014 3:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 14, 2014 8:23 PM

Depends largely on the format of the songs and the resultant file size.

I have about 200 hours of "olde time radio shows" that are about half an hour each. It took on average five seconds a track to add artwork to them, because they're between 32 and 38 mb each. An average 4 minute MP3 usually adds art in about half a second. A ten minute "remix" imported as ALAC can be as big as 24MB. That'll take longer.

Another factor is the size of the artwork being added.

I use 300X300 "web optimized" jpgs for my artwork - around 40kb each.

Some artwork on Google is upwards of 1500X1500 and more than 1Mb.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 14, 2014 8:23 PM in response to Lee Tubb

Depends largely on the format of the songs and the resultant file size.

I have about 200 hours of "olde time radio shows" that are about half an hour each. It took on average five seconds a track to add artwork to them, because they're between 32 and 38 mb each. An average 4 minute MP3 usually adds art in about half a second. A ten minute "remix" imported as ALAC can be as big as 24MB. That'll take longer.

Another factor is the size of the artwork being added.

I use 300X300 "web optimized" jpgs for my artwork - around 40kb each.

Some artwork on Google is upwards of 1500X1500 and more than 1Mb.

Mar 15, 2014 2:29 AM in response to C F McBlob

That's what I'm trying to get out, what goes on during the process?

Most of my music is imported from CDs in Apple lossless!

I'm selecting artwork from Google and have been picking 500x500 as I also display this on my

Apple TV and wanted it to look resonbly good!

On the albums that iTunes doesn't automatically add artwork (don't know why this is?)

When I goto "get info" then cut and paste from google, it can take 4-5 minutes for what is

An average of 10 songs!

It seems an excessive amount of time when compared to when iTunes does it automatically,

It's added I. The last few seconds while iTunes imports the last track?

Lee.

Mar 15, 2014 9:39 AM in response to Lee Tubb

When artwork is "manually" added. It's:

1. "embedded" into the track.

With artwork

User uploaded file

vs without

User uploaded file

2. The ID3 tag is updated with the artwork as "added".

With large files (20mb or more) #2 can take a while longer. If you have an entire 20 track CD of ALAC files, it's going to be a bit to manually add.

This is probably the ONLY place where downloading artwork from the iTunes sture would be advantageous. Downloading artwork doesn't "embed" it. It only adds a "call" to the artwork in yout iTunes Artwork folder. Unfortunately, that process also has to write the ID3 tag for the file though, so the time saving is minimal.

Mar 15, 2014 10:07 AM in response to C F McBlob

Right ok, think I understand what your saying!

I only do this add artwork manually when iTunes fails to automatically do it itself,

Quite why iTunes fails I'm not sure, it's been some very well known albums aswell!

From what your saying am I correct in thinking there's a way of manually importing artwork

Through iTunes when it fails automatically?

I am aware of the download artwork option but this also fails if iTunes has already failed when the cd

Was imported!

Thanks Lee!

Mar 15, 2014 10:27 AM in response to Lee Tubb

You can use artwork from anywhere pretty much. I have albums which there is no way iTunes will ever have them in the Store. I find artwork somebody has scanned in (or occasionally myself) and add it to the tracks. Sometimes if it is large I will add it to only one track., It will display for the others but since I am adding it manually I don't want to increase the size of all my files by a MB or so. Doesn't sound like much but over the course of a thosand tracks I save a GB.

I drag mine to an artwork box I can display in my main window (I seem to recall people complainng about Apple removing this in later versions of iTunes).

when importing artwork?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.